• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9 inch ford from car

hipper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 9 inch ford that cam from a car in the 70s, it has the same bolt patern as my 89 xj and is a little over an inch wider than my d30. Is this a good upgrade?

They made the 9-inch with about every axle size known. Chances are the axle you have has small shafts. The only way to know is pull one and check. 'Might get lucky.

are you sure its a 9 in ?? the drop outs also came in a 8.5 or an 8.8 I cant rember witch one it is . I do know if you CAN get a socket on the bottom 2 bolts IT IS NOT A 9 IN. If it is a 9 in probly only a 28 spline not a 31sp

does it have disks? If so its out of a linclon. If it is 28 spline chances are moser makes 31spline shafts for it for the race scene.

It should be a small bearing 9in. 4x4.5 bolt pattern is the old standard ford car pattern

I run a 9" out of a 1970 Torino. WMS is very close to a stock cherokee and it does have 4.5x5 bolt pattern. I have 28 spline Chromo shafts from Kevin's axles and a full detroit locker. It is a small bearing axle and i run 35s on it with zero problems

similar axles came in Rancheros, Monetgos, and Galaxies.

FWIW, I know of a Ford 9" out of a 70s Galaxy that's small bearing (from what I've read) that has survived placement behind the old 440 Ford and then, when that care gave up, put behind my old man's work van. He is not a gentle person and even under an estimated 3K lbs it hasn't made a squeek rattle or groan since the day he put it in there.
I'd say - go for it.

Yes its a 9 inch and yes probably a small brg with 28 spline but I figured surrly it has to be stronger than the Dana 35 and can get used parts for it like lockers and gears from all the racers that use them. I just had to ask becuse cant find anyone really using them in jeeps. I'm an ex drag and circle track racer and went thru the pill of 9 inchers we had coolected when I got the jeep and found this one. Thanks for the info.

I'm just going to put this out there, if you're who I think you are then you'll understand.... Do you know muddy butt?

I have a 9 under my XJ. I have a hi9 third in mine, and love it.

As was said earlier. If it's a 9", run it till it breaks, then upgrade....

Jeeps don't break, they just give you the opportunity to upgrade....

are you sure its a 9 in ?? the drop outs also came in a 8.5 or an 8.8 I cant rember witch one it is . I do know if you CAN get a socket on the bottom 2 bolts IT IS NOT A 9 IN. If it is a 9 in probly only a 28 spline not a 31sp

actually the drop outs didnt come in either of those... they came in the 8" and the 9" and thats it. and i dont think that ford made an 8.5

Back