• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build ideas up for comments

gorkoxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm planning on doing a build this winter on my '89 2 door XJ with a 4.0L and I‘m looking for advice. My budget is real tight right now so I’m doing a budget boost for now so I can go play with my bud and his YJ. So far ground clearance has been the only thing that has kept me from following him everywhere. I’ll upgrade as I can afford it in the future. I have a complete running donor ‘88 XJ 4 door and access to a wrecker for cheap parts (know one of the owners:moon: hahaha) I have a set of 31x9.50-15 BFG A/T's and wheels with 4.25” backspace for a starting point. Here's what I'm thinking:

V8 Grand Cherokee front coils
1.75 coil spring spacers
LCA’s from a Geo/Chev Tracker or Suzuki Sidekick (2 inch longer and tubes)
YJ brake lines and emergency brake cable
ZJ tie rod and ends
ZJ pitman arm
ZJ front sway bar
MJ leaf shackles (I hear Ford or Chev work also - opinions?)
Extra leaf springs from my donor XJ for bastard packs
Swaybar links from a F250/350 and homemade discos
BPE’s front and rear (anyone made them from rear swaybar mounts?)
Fenders trimmed and TJ flares (could use a write up for the fronts)
Trackbar relocation bracket
T-case drop and axle shims if necessary

Did I cover everything or something else I should add? Do the ZJ steering parts need to be from a V8 or are the 4.0’s okay? Can I use ZJ or WJ coils? Are there any changes you would recommend? I've been doing a lot of research and from what I've read, I think this will do what I am looking for. I live on the flatlands, so rocks are rare unless I want to go play on a farmer's rock pile. I get in a camping trip to the Northern bush a couple of times a year and could use the clearance. I’m open to advise and suggestions.
Thanks

ZJ coils are V8 grand cherokee coils i believe from a 93-96 with the 318. You also must use the coils from the v8 not the 4.0 if you want any lift. With that setup i believe you should be fine running those 31's on your stock rims with limited to no rubbing. I also run no sway bars on my DD RE4.5 superflex w/33's. Doens't bother me at all.

ZJ coils are V8 grand cherokee coils i believe from a 93-96 with the 318. You also must use the coils from the v8 not the 4.0 if you want any lift. With that setup i believe you should be fine running those 31's on your stock rims with limited to no rubbing. I also run no sway bars on my DD RE4.5 superflex w/33's. Doens't bother me at all.

I know the coils have to be from a V8, just wasn't sure if I could use WJ coils so thanks on that one. I need to know if the swaybar and tie rod have to be from the V8 and if I can use the WJ or the ZJ's.

2" longer lca will be too long unless you shorten them or modify the control arm mount.

I'm looking to get around 3.5 inches of lift on my XJ. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the Tracker LCA's to see if they're straight or not yet. I can always take them to a buddy's place and put the clearance bend in them if I need to. I am considering cutting off one end and putting in an adjustable heim joint as I plan on going to a 5 inch lift in the future. Are the Tracker/ Sidekick LCA's strong enough to handle it?

I'm looking to get around 3.5 inches of lift on my XJ. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the Tracker LCA's to see if they're straight or not yet. I can always take them to a buddy's place and put the clearance bend in them if I need to. I am considering cutting off one end and putting in an adjustable heim joint as I plan on going to a 5 inch lift in the future. Are the Tracker/ Sidekick LCA's strong enough to handle it?

dont know how strong they are, but it seems with all the mods you plan to do to the tracker arms, why not just build your own? also at 5" of lift, the control arm angle will be a bit too steep. long arms or control arm drop bracket can cure the angle problem.

Anyone else have some more advise on this and any changes I should make to my plans? Could really use the help before I commit to it and start buying the JY parts. I guess I can do away with the LCA's for now until I go to a taller lift.

It will be my DD so I'm trying to keep the weight down to keep something resembling decent fuel mileage. Right now I only have the factory skids, but there aren't a lot of rocks in Saskatchewan (except the piles in farmer's fields hahaha) A rear bumper with a tire carrier, rails and a brush guard are on my list. My bud is a welder so I'm working out the designs with him. I have more than enough steel and scrap kicking around to do what I need so it won't cost me a lot.

I'm kind of on the fence with the front bumper. I'm planning on a 2" reciever in front and a winch on a cradle so I can use it on both ends and keep it inside the Jeep when not needed. I'm mounting a reciever in the back cargo area that is on a quick release so I can take the whole thing out when running around town. Just need to figure out all the beefing up on the front end so I don't tear things apart.

Back