• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE help please look

KCsurfer420

NAXJA Forum User
So lets just start by saying i allready searched..... My question is I have the whole thing almost back togeather but my tc has a long shift rail that acomadates the vacume swich for the front disco ( 90 xj ) but my tail housing wont bolt in because of the extra length. do i just cut it down to size? i picked up the kit from a friend who bought it from a friend and so forth and so on.... :geek: so no instructions were included:gonnablow I belive the kit was for a newer transfer case but i have no way of telling and the only markings on the new tail housing are ss101-231..... Do i just shift it to where the rail protrudes the most and cut her down from there or what?:doh: any help is greatly aprecieated....

Yeah, you cut it down.

Which sye kit is it?

Google the manufacturer, most have instructions online.

Just did one on my 01 w/ NP231 last weekend. My shift rail was not to long, but I would agree, the older models will need to be trimmed to fit into the pocket on the tail cone housing (1" max stick out).

Per AA SYE instructions:

NOTE: On some NP231 transfer cases, the shift rail must be shortened.
This shift rail protrudes out of the transfer case and goes into the
tailhousing. The new tailhousing has a pocket depth of 1.125".
Shift your transfer case into 4WD so the shift rod is protruding the
furthest out of the transfer case. If this shifter rod protrudes more than
1" out of the back side of the transfer case, then the shift rail must be
shortened. Ideally the shift rod should protrude exactly 1".
Transfer cases that will normally require this rail to be shortened
measure 1.5".
Using a hack saw or cutoff wheel (and safety glasses), trim the shift
rail shaft so that it protrudes only 1"

ok well its chop chop time :explosion

The best way to do it from what I've been told is to put a piece of 1" masking tape on the end, and cut the taped off portion off.

Thank you thank you....... I just dident have any instructions or i dident know who manufactured this unit so but it is all clear to me now.....:smoker:

Back