• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

El Cheapo GPS Thread

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Sitting here at school, Jeepless, I've been thinking quite a bit of taking advantage of winter break and really any time I get at home to go wheeling.

However, I've also realized that some of my favorite trails were run with someone else leading them, and that I probably couldn't find the trails again if I tried. For example, I know the general area where Last Chance Canyon is, but not the exact turnoff. In short, I need a GPS.

I'm looking for something that will be for off-roading use only. About the only on-road directions I would need are those to a trail. Off road functionality, durability, the ability to download maps, and a breadcrumb feature are what I want. I'd like a handheld since I do occasional hiking too.

I've had some experience with the Garmin e-Trex when I ran a Boy Scout camp, and the price is right, how good is this unit for what I want? I see that the Garmin 60csx is the most recommended unit here (other than big money Lowrances) but is it really worth 3x the e-Trex price?

Do you really need an electronic compass and barometric altimeter in your GPS? The 60Cx is 50 bucks cheaper if you can live without those 2 features. For California wheeling you definitely want the Garmin Mapsource Topo U.S. 24K West DVD. Your location says Texas, but that is just for school, right? If you are going wheeling there too you'll need the South Central DVD. Each Topo disc is 130 bucks or so but will allow you to do auto-routing and give you topographic maps. Buying a GPS without a fully featured map program is a waste of money, don't even consider it! The basemap that is included only has major highways. Add a dashboard or windshield mount and a cigarette lighter power adapter and you are set!

BTW, I have a slightly used 60Cx for sale if you are interested.

No, I guess I really dont need an electric compass and altimeter.

Details on the one you're selling?

And yes, Texas is just for school (for now anyways, after, who knows?)

i would also like info on the gps you are selling if john didnt buy it. thanks

John get the 60 CX or CSX, it's a perfect for what you want.

How is the Cx or CSx different from the eTrex Vista HCx or Legend HCx?

Seems they have comprable features, but the eTrex models have longer battery life at a lower price, while the Cx/CSx include a 64MB data card.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

The screen size is a little larger(0.5" longer x 0.2" wider) on the 60 series. After owning both models the button layout on the 60 series is easier to navigate the screens on the 60 series.

Well, my parents got me the 60CSX for xmas. Is the DVD a better choice than the micro SD card? I don't really need Washington and Oregon, the only benefit I see with the DVD is that Garmin only lets you download once, and the SD card probably doesn't have much expandability beyond that map.

If I want to use it for on-road stuff too, do I need to buy an additional map?

Does anyone here have a Magellan? I came across a $250 unit on sale for $150. Its the 1470 series. I have some Best Buy GC's so it wont cost me much.

Just wondering if its a good enough unit to spend the money on. I hear nothing but good review's on the Garmin's, but not much on the Magellan's.

Well, my parents got me the 60CSX for xmas. Is the DVD a better choice than the micro SD card? I don't really need Washington and Oregon, the only benefit I see with the DVD is that Garmin only lets you download once, and the SD card probably doesn't have much expandability beyond that map.

Which DVD? I am assuming you mean Garmin Mapsource Topo U.S. 24k West. Yes, buy the DVD not the preloaded Micro SD card. You can install the maps on your computer for trip planning at home. Mapsource also allows you to save tracks and waypoints from your GPS, as well as giving you tools to edit tracks and create routes that you can save back to your GPS. I recommend that everyone with a GPS keep an archive of tracks from your GPS on your computer. A few years down the road you will find them useful for a variety of reasons.
If I want to use it for on-road stuff too, do I need to buy an additional map?
The beauty of the U.S.Topo 24k series is that it will route you on the roads... but it will also route you on hiking trails so you have to be careful with it. It does not have points of interest though. For serious urban navigation get City Navigator. Be aware that the City Navigator is a locked map- it only can be loaded to 1 GPS. You will have to buy additional unlock codes to use it on other units. Both will fit on a 4 gig card and it is easy to switch between the 2. Give the U.S. Topo a try first before you spend the money for another map series. Also keep in mind that your GPS is only as useful as the maps you have on it. :)

So is this a good price?

Garmin 60csx

My 2nd E-trex vista gave up the ghost and with my failing eyesight has been harder to read this past geocache season. The only advantage I see with another e-trex is it fits in a tee-shirt pocket comfortably.

So is this a good price?

Garmin 60csx

My 2nd E-trex vista gave up the ghost and with my failing eyesight has been harder to read this past geocache season. The only advantage I see with another e-trex is it fits in a tee-shirt pocket comfortably.
That is a pretty damn good price.. I saved that link. I have had trouble finding these for less then $350

Which DVD? I am assuming you mean Garmin Mapsource Topo U.S. 24k West. Yes, buy the DVD not the preloaded Micro SD card. You can install the maps on your computer for trip planning at home. Mapsource also allows you to save tracks and waypoints from your GPS, as well as giving you tools to edit tracks and create routes that you can save back to your GPS. I recommend that everyone with a GPS keep an archive of tracks from your GPS on your computer. A few years down the road you will find them useful for a variety of reasons.

The beauty of the U.S.Topo 24k series is that it will route you on the roads... but it will also route you on hiking trails so you have to be careful with it. It does not have points of interest though. For serious urban navigation get City Navigator. Be aware that the City Navigator is a locked map- it only can be loaded to 1 GPS. You will have to buy additional unlock codes to use it on other units. Both will fit on a 4 gig card and it is easy to switch between the 2. Give the U.S. Topo a try first before you spend the money for another map series. Also keep in mind that your GPS is only as useful as the maps you have on it. :)

Thanks, yeah I meant that DVD.

I'll give it a shot before ordering the City Navigator.

Ok.. I actually haven't used this thing yet.

Added the topo map and got it on to the unit today; how do I get this thing to highway route between locations? I put in my best friend's house just to text it and it only told me to head east to his address.

I've never used the Garmin 60csx, but I can tell you that my Garmin Nuvi 755 (dedicated street GPS) will always start my route by telling me to head a particular direction until it can confirm that I'm on the street it wants to start my route with. This happens most often leaving parking lots. As soon as I leave the parking lot and it recognizes what street I'm on, it will give me an actual direction to turn. Seeing as they're both Garmin, maybe the highway routing feature functions the same way?

Have you tried leaving your house and walking down the street with your friend's address in there? Maybe it's just wanting to confirm your location before it gives you detailed directions?

You have 3 choices for navigation:
  1. fastest route
  2. shortest route
  3. off-road
It sounds like you have off-road selected. This simply gives you a compass bearing to your destination. Try selecting fastest or shortest route and see what happens. It may also be an issue with the topo map not having address information. Will it show the destination on the map at all?

It does show the destination.

Where are those 3 choice at, which menu?

Also, is there any way to get the screen to light up for night use? I attempted to see if it would auto correct last night, but I can't find a way to light the screen up.

I am looking into a GPS unit for travel and trail use. I'm in the research stage atm trying to figure out what I want and what it will cost. I want something that I can use to travel on the road to different locations. I put in the address and it tells me the route. I would also like a unit that I can take out the truck and carry on the trail with me and map with topo the places I ride in the jeep. It would be great if it could be used hiking too. I have looked at some of the Garmin, are there any other brands to look at?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858108255

THis one looks good but I saw a refrence to a different version. Also 20 tracks would that be like 20 trails?

Back