• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clearance Lights Mod

Maltese Chief

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to add clearance lights like those found on the Hummer and other large trucks and SUV's. I chose some simple trailer lights from a local tractor supply store, in red and amber. In hindsight, I wish I had used similar LED lights instead.

Following are some photo's of the process. The photo's should make the process clear. The lights can be wired to your parking lights or to a separate switch as I did.

CIMG3618.jpg

Start by laying out the lights where you want them, beginning from the center and measuring out from there. I chose amber in fromt and red in rear.

CIMG3619.jpg

CIMG3628.jpg

CIMG3621.jpg

CIMG3622.jpg

CIMG3624.jpg

I found on my '89 XJ that there was a second layer inside the outer steel, be careful in the rear not to cut too deeply into the area surrounding the rear hatch opening, measure twice and cut once!
CIMG3625.jpg

CIMG3627.jpg

CIMG3629.jpg

Make a harness of the wire leads and thread them into the openings from below, this is challenging. It is easier if the headliner is removed.
CIMG3630.jpg

CIMG3631.jpg

modslights0111.jpg

CIMG3636.jpg

Good luck!:wave1:

and the point of all that was?

The light bases have a rubber base, the cavities were filled with silicone, and spray in insulation was put in from below to make a good seal. No leaks.
The only reason such a large hole was needed, to pass the light connectors under bases.

Why? I liked the look, really only semi's need "clearance lights" but many other suv's and pickup owners add them, they're even factory options on many.

"What's next, naked lady mud flaps?" : NO, but I thought I'd take my grinder and saw'z'-all and chop the fenders up to the hood, Put on 60" tractor tires, and rip off all the doors!!

Paid $1000; BEFORE
xj4a.jpg

NOW;
CIMG3830a.jpg

More mod photo's to come, maybe you could use some other ideas.
:piratefla

An old idea, but a good one, 1978. Graduated that year!

78_chero_wt.jpg

:skull2:

Last edited:
I like your paint scheme but you need to paint you front bumper black too. Also the wheels (or white like the Chief)

That's a good idea too. I coated the rear bumper in black Herculiner, and the rockers were done by Rhino Line.

Before painting, I used some photo's to try different paint schemes and chose to do the front in white. I will be coating the front bumper and lower front fenders with some white bedliner spray I found. I was going for a Hummer type look in front. It was once mistaken for a Hummer by a passer-by.

I'm looking forward to the day a Hummer driver accusses me of copying, but of course, mine is an '89; so who's copying who?:cheers:

Looks good man. Dont let other people tell you how to build your rig. This is NAXJA its an XJ site. Not just a "How do I stuff huge tires under my rig" site.

Back