• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaved Door Handles???

I'm wondering if anybody has tried shaving door handles on an XJ? I love the clean look of shaved door handles, but I sold my Gti to buy the Jeep and have sunken over $800 in the last month to get it back on the road. I've been thinking about it for a couple months now. If nobody has done it yet, is anybody good with photoshop?

Never shaved an XJ but I have done several lowrider trucks for friends. It is fairly easy. Rigging up the mechanicals can get interesting. I just welded in a piece of sheetmetal, ground and bondo'd it and painted.

slide the side of your jeep down a tree, works very well and is free

here ya go...

DSCN0026.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

its not necessary to get as far INTO the tree as i did...but you get the idea

The mechanicals would be the tricky part.
I'm looking forward to shaving an epoxied-in lock cylinder from the passenger side. Might take 1.5" hole saw but it'll get done some day.

If you do it, document it and let us know what works for the mechanicals.

newpaint1-1.jpg

I can take a better pic tomorrow if you'd like me to.

I'd like to see the job in detail - I've been kicking this around myself for some time (I rather like the look.) I just haven't decided if I wanted to go with recessed door handles or with full-on electric jobs (knowing me, I'll probably go with recessed manual handles...)

nohandle.jpg

As far as detail. I didn't do the job. I know that i reach in thru the window and pull the handle to open it. Inside the door, of the 2 little bars in there. Only 1 is connected it goes from the handle to the mechanism to open the door.

My brother did it on his Jimmy. Now that it's his wheeling rig, he regrets it. Uses solenoids to pop the doors open.

I worked with a kid at the body shop who did it to his Honduh. I think he re-did them like three times after the paint cracking. I'm not sure why it never worked out right for him, maybe he just rushed the job, but he always said he would never do it again. That being said i love how it looks and Ive seen plenty of successful jobs.

I like it. The main issue is when i get into another car i try to reach tru the window to open the door. :doh: I do see how it would be a pain if i had working windows. I guess toe kicks would be cool, if you aren't lifted too much.

Back