• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumped need help

indyjeepnut

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped out the motor in my 98 XJ. Everything worked prior to swap except engine. I have the new engine in but it will not start from key switch. I can turn the key to the on position and jump across the starter relay and it starts up fine. What is between the key swithch and starter relay besides the NSS? What could give me no crank by key? Does anyone know wht two pins to short out in the NSS harness to simulate it being in park or neutral?

Key to ignition switch, ignition switch to starter relay, starter relay to starter solenoid.

Hallo. There is a link to the ECU from the NSS.
The ECU gives a signal to the starterrelay. This is only by the newer XJ's imo.
Maybe that's the culprit. Clean the NSS.

p.s. Joe, I do not understand your explanation. haha. Maybe the language.

wim

Old motor cranked fine. It only had compression in one cylinder. Either burnt valves or rings.
It also had 260k on it. New motor has 120k on it. New motor is out of a fresh rearended grand cherokee. New motor runs good when u short across starter relay.

middle pin on the starter solenoid is the ignition lead, when current comes to that pin, a coil in the solenoid is charged and the plunger is ejected. this bridges the battery and starter motor together, and also moves the starter gear into the crankcase

have a helper turn the key while you check for 12v at the igntion wire. if you have current there something else is wrong, then you could have a bad ground on the starter assembly or a bad power wire from battery positive to the starter motor. if you don't get power at the middle solenoid wire then work backwards to starter relay and ignition wire. also try to start in neutral to bypass NSS

also try to start in neutral to bypass NSS

Neutral doesn't bypass the NSS, it's just a different position of the NSS (The NSS allows the starter in Park and Neutral). The only way to bypass the NSS is to jump the appropriate wires.

middle pin on the starter solenoid is the ignition lead, when current comes to that pin, a coil in the solenoid is charged and the plunger is ejected. this bridges the battery and starter motor together, and also moves the starter gear into the crankcase

have a helper turn the key while you check for 12v at the igntion wire. if you have current there something else is wrong, then you could have a bad ground on the starter assembly or a bad power wire from battery positive to the starter motor. if you don't get power at the middle solenoid wire then work backwards to starter relay and ignition wire. also try to start in neutral to bypass NSS

I can put the key in the run position and jump across pins 30 and 87 @ the start relay and the motor starts fine.

What pins do I short to bypass the Nss?

The pins are B and C they are the black and black/white wires in the middle. They are the red blocked pins in this pic, from this page:

NSS-Park-Neutral-400x300.jpg

put a little piece of jump wire in there

The pins are B and C they are the black and black/white wires in the middle. They are the red blocked pins in this pic, from this page:

NSS-Park-Neutral-400x300.jpg

put a little piece of jump wire in there

Note: DO it in the *other* end of the connector, the end pictured is the one that runs down to the NSS so would do nothing for you. ;)

Wouldnt the other end be the actual NSS? How will jumpering the actual NSS do anything?

Nope. The NSS has a long wiring harness lead that terminates in that connector you see me holding. The other half of that connector is the vehicle side of the wiring harness.

Back