• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stumped on what to do(axle swap q's)

stoneyva21

NAXJA Forum User
so i've got a 00 xj with an 8 1/4 rear. i was planning on building a spare 8 1/4 i have sitting around. but with all the 8.8's and 44' in the bone yards from C4C i'm torn on what to do. i'm running 31's now but plan on upgrading to either 33's or 35's when the time comes for new shoes.

should i build an 8.8?

should i keep the 8 1/4 and build it?

should i build a 44?

should i build another common heavy duty truck axle?

its my dd so full width isn't gonna work right now. i dont wheel all the time but plan on wheeling more next year. my wheeling is moderate to higher level trails(blues and black).

i would have a shop weld on all the brackets(dont have a welder nor do i know how to weld).

what do the naxja gods think i should do?

By no means am I a NAXJA god, but I recommend the 8.8 for two reasons.

Reason 1) There is no lack of them around, unlike the D44. 2) They are at least as strong as a D44 and you can make them stronger with a "Super 88" kit if you cared to. Some would disrecommend that as the ring and pinion become the weak links rather than the shafts, but it's an option to consider anyway.

I have an 8.8 set aside to build at a later date for both of those reasons, and my girlfriend has one under her XJ and it does everything we ever ask of it, although it could use a locker for sure. In mud, the limited slip in hers is pretty worthless. She runs 33's on hers and could easily run 35's and I would trust the 8.8 to hold its end of things if she did. If you can find one of those rare little XJ 44's, more power to you as it would be less overall work (simple bolt in unless you regear). The 8.8 is a strong axle. I run a 8.25 29 spline in my 98 XJ, but it will eventually be replaced by the 8.8.

--wavingpine11

I am not god either, but close I reckon haha. Anway building the 29 spline axle you have is the easiest option. Its a good axle in my opinion & would be most desireable with a selectable locker & the shock mounts moved up a bit & wheel it. If you could get your hands on a XJ D44 that would be the second easiest, that way you could bolt it in & hopefully not have to mod the driveshaft. The 8.8 is probably the most work but you could get one with rear disc brakes & just re-weld the axle perches. (this is my opinion) I would base you decision on how hard you plan to wheel it.

Had a 8.8 in my Yj and loved it. I put in a mini spool and had no issues. I also liked the flange setup in the driveshaft. Seemed like a better setup for hard wheeling that straps or u bolts

I would go with the 44.

For any given jeep event, there will be 5 dana 44's there for every 8.8, so if you really need to borrow a spare, they will be more available.

There are more 44 lockers, and they are cheaper.

The 'super 88' kit does make the 8.8 stronger than the stock 44, alloy 31 spline shafts.. but the 44 has the option for 33 or 35 spline chromoly shafts, and doesn't have c-clips.

Its bolt in.

Its not narrower than a stock XJ axle (the 8.8 is narrow)

..really, I could go on all day. The 8.8 is a great axle, but the 44 is a better choice for an XJ.

i'm not really worried about ease of install. bolt on is a bonus but it doesn't matter.

there are a metric buttload of xj's in my local pick and pull, didnt get a chance to look at the rear ends last time i was there.

the biggest thing i want is disk brakes and a locker. there seem to be more selectable lockers out there for 44's and 8.8's. the only one for the 8.25 is the arb and i' not a fan of the price or air lines.

i do plan on re-gearing once i get the 33"s/35"s.

i have seen all the disc swap kits and write ups. i spotted a 8.25 out of a libby last time i was there, if i'm lucky i might bolt up some disk for the time being till i build/buy another.

91-96 isuzu rodeo came with Dana 44 rears leaf sprung. Most are gear at 4.11 or 4.30( there is a rare 4.56 version. Have factory disk brakes. They are like 1 1/4" narrower but wheel adapters to convert them from 6 lug to 5 will fix that. Isuzu d44 have a thicker ring gear and use's a different pinon bearing I believe but for lockers all you need is 3.73 and up or a lock right.

That sounds like a lot of work, having to buy it, adapt the mounts, buy spacers, and then buy custom lockers. Oh, and no alloy shafts.

All win. ;/

i have seen the zuki 44's and the thought has crossed my mind. the only down side is all the custom parts like cal said. if i go 44 i'll find an xj one or a waggy 44(could care less that they will stick out alittle more then stock)

The waggy rear 44 is only 58" wide, and has no alloys available at all (and is 6 lug). Not even waggy guys run them.

really? i thought the waggy 44's were the <POOPIE>.

guess i'm gonna have to read up on my axle choices alittle more too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waggie front 44's are decent, but you need to convert them to 5x5.5 or find a 6 lug rear to run with them.

also, no profanity in the forums. :)

Yeah no worries, people slip.

If you join Naxja there is an entire 'members only' subforum specifically for sailorish trash talking.

What kind of wheeling do you do? Daily drive or just trail? What size tires? What kind of tire? Lockers or no? Whats your budget?

All of those are factors in what you should do.

got an hp 30 sitting at the house getting ready for a truss and all the fun internals.

if i could ever find a front tj rubi 44 i'd bolt that in instead,but that chances of that happening are slim.

The TJ rubi 44 is basically just a dana 30 with slightly bigger shafts and a slightly bigger ring gear. Its not much of an upgrade, I personally would probably keep the hp30 over it.

Back