• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the pitfalls of replacing the shackles?

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
Being that this is my only working vehicle...I can't snap something off, then run to the parts store for a replacement.

I am replacing the stock shackles with some Rough Country 2" lift shackles this coming Sunday. What kind of hardships can I expect? You would think that it is a simple unbolt stock, and bolt in lift shackle..but NOTHING has been simple about wrenching on this XJ. Even unbolting the swaybar links became an adventure!

btw...PB BLaster is being applied every other day.

Just buy replacement bolts and bushings beforehand. If you break the stock bolts replace them, if not, still replace them.

My shackles came with bolts.

My fear is the shackle bolt that goes into the frame. I am assuming that there is a nut tack welded somewhere inside there. But if I snap that bolt off....there is no way to get to that nut, like there was for the rear top spring bolts.

Anyone ever snap one of those bolts off?

Honestly...wrenching 101 shouldn't be this hard. Why does Jeeps stuff seem to want to snap instead of unbolt?

None of my bolts have snapped so far but the fender flare bolts. Ok, so one on the rear bumper mount too. Mines a 1990

in many jeeps i have never snapped one of the factory 14mm leaf,shackle, or control arm bolts.

what you need to worry about is snapping the weld-nut free from the body. and if that isnt an issue your bolt might be stuck to the bushing sleeve.

a neat trick i have found is to drill a small hole in the spring cup and if you can put a torch tip in there and heat the nut up good. if a torch isnt available. you can get some pb blaster in there through that hole which does help.

a 14mm hardened bolt is pretty hard to snap, but it can be done... the torch plan is good, also worry about snapping the tack welds as KTM racer said. When that happens people usually cut the bottom of the pocket open and either cut the bolt + pull the nut out and replace it, or stick a wrench on the nut and get it unscrewed, then weld the pocket closed again.

soak the inner nut in penetrating fluid before hand, there is a few little holes you can manipulate the squirt tube into and soak away. I have had 3 jeeps leafs out , always have trouble with the front bolts never a problem with the backs. The oldest being an 89 and all from winter/salt areas

Back