• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89/90 Transmission leak! Need Help

tirogers

NAXJA Forum User
First off Thanks a Ton to every one on here you have be so helpful!

My free xj has been nothing but problems, thats okay i kinda expected it hey it was free!
Came with unbolted front and rear axles. I bolted 2000 leaf springs with 3in lift block and in the front i used f150 coils (still need spacers). The PO also swapped the engine with a "rebuild 30 over" from a 1990 and he parked it after he couldn't get it running right. So it sat for 8 years before i got it. Well i got it running right away with just fresh gas, since then i have hard to replace the crank sensor ,learned what a death wobble :shocked: is, still having charging problems, brake light problems, no start problems, electrical fan problems, temp and oil temp gauge problems.
Regardless of still having some of the able problems i am still working on this damn jeep its one thing after another!!!

Just after i thought i had everything together enough to go do some light wheeling i looked at it the day after and there is a big puddle of tranny fluid on the floor 8in diameter+ WTF? Now i have driven it 200 or so miles with out and tranny fluid leakage, some oil from the rear main but NOW tranny fluid apperars to be dripping from the where the engine meets the bell housing and as far as i can tell is not leaking down from somewhere else it is leaking from the bell housing........what is goin on?

Should I say screw it and sell it?

What would fixing it take? time and money wise if i do it my self?

Tools needed?

what do you think is the matter with it? What seal went bad and how hard is it to replace? ill get some pics

What transmission?

If an auto, did you check the cooler lines for leaks?

a little encouragement, jeeps need constant attention. the more you give it the less often its needed, make sense,
in my experience i always have to work on my heep one thing after another but hey its worth it. just gotta get everything that seems like its causing trouble out of the way. :)
especially sensors get a digital ohm meter and a analog
test everything

It could be the front pump seal in the transmission.

The dipstick is way over in the corner of a large flat pan, so ANY tilt makes a big change in the reading. Also the transmission must be fully warmed up which takes a good 30 minute of driving. So warm it up, stop with Jeep as level as you can, Idling in Park, take a reading or two. Must be between the marks and NOT ABOVE 'FULL". Several reports of Jeeps 'Burping" up ATF. There is a vent, (somewhere above bellhousing) that dumps it out.

Check that trans is not too full.

Good Luck,
Orange

Mine doesn't mark its territory, it fences it off and carpet bombs it.

... I really need to do my rear main seal and tranny lines sometime... soon...

I say keep it and fix it. It'll cost 250 or so even if you have to get a whole new transmission at a junkyard, and I doubt you'll have to go that far, it's probably a seal or something like everyone said.

Back