• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heated Mirrors?

AG74683

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a myself a new to me XJ! Used to be a TJ guy, but decided I needed a little bit more creature comforts.

1999, Classic package. I believe it has the heated mirrors on it, but not 100% sure. The mirrors have an icon printed on them that looks like a rectangular box with 3 wavy arrows. One would expect these to be heated I suppose. If this is the case, how do I turn them on? Does it run when I hit the rear window defrost (So weird having an actual rear window not made of plastic! or any window made of plastic....)?

What exactly did the tow package add to it? I know this XJ has the tow on it, but what all besides the hitch and electric hookups did it add?

When I go to start it (cold starts only), I need to turn the ignition on for a few seconds (not fire the engine), and then turn it to full start to get it to start up sometimes. I was told this was a fuel pump issue? Not really bothered by it, but Id like to fix it, just to fix something :spin1:

Anything specific I should know about XJ's? I really dont know much about them, been a TJ man for 4 years or so now.

I'll answer the heated mirror part of your question. The box with 3 wavy arrows does indeed indicate the fact that you have heated mirrors. They will turn on with your rear defrost button below your climate control panel. Welcome to NAXJA, XJ ownership, and the world of glass windows :D

Starting issue sounds like a bad/failing check valve in the pump, fuel drains back towards the tank and you have to "prime" the system to get it to start without cranking for extended times.

There are a couple fixes: drop the tank and replace the fuel pump; drop the tank and intall a BMW fuel check valve; don't drop the tank and install an inline aftermarket check valve--eBay seller jbass195 has the 3/8" fuel check valves for $14 + $2.50 shipping. Cut the rubber fuel line between the tank and the metal line, add check valve and secure with two worm clamps.

Those mirrors are great. I live in Ca, so I rarely need them, but when I'm in the snow, they work great!

Turn em on, and feel the mirror. They work!

So can I put heated mirrors on an XJ ('98 Classic) that didn't come with them and they will work? Or is the harness different?

If the XJ came with power mirrors (just motors) it looks like the answer is yes, per my parts catalog there are versions of the harness for no-frills (power nothing), power mirrors, and power locks. I'm not sure which of these implies the others, my bet is that power mirrors implies power locks and I'm not sure which harnesses support power windows. The body harness is apparently different for supporting power locks but has no specifics concerning power windows or power mirrors.

EDIT: you may, however, need a switch for the heated mirrors. I'm not sure where it goes or whether it's present on XJs without heated mirrors.
EDIT2: disregard. Just read the rest of the thread and it looks like they are switched on when you use the defrost button.

This is confirmed. Plug and play on late body style XJ's. They turn onand off with the rear window defrost switch.

That's also how I wired them up when I threw a set on my 91 with manual everything. Now it's just the way I want it. The only electronics in my doors are ones that won't inconvenience me if they ever fail.

If the XJ came with power mirrors (just motors) it looks like the answer is yes, per my parts catalog there are versions of the harness for no-frills (power nothing), power mirrors, and power locks. I'm not sure which of these implies the others, my bet is that power mirrors implies power locks and I'm not sure which harnesses support power windows. The body harness is apparently different for supporting power locks but has no specifics concerning power windows or power mirrors.

EDIT: you may, however, need a switch for the heated mirrors. I'm not sure where it goes or whether it's present on XJs without heated mirrors.
EDIT2: disregard. Just read the rest of the thread and it looks like they are switched on when you use the defrost button.

My 97 Sport has power mirrors, and rear defrost, but no power locks, windows, or heated mirrors. My friends have 96 and 00 Sports. PW, PL, and PM on both. I think it must have been an option. I'd have to tear into the doors to prove the wiring is there, but I suspect it is. All 3 have rear defroster.

EDIT. SOB. Just saw EDIT2.

Back