• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 cherokee wanna swap tcases

JOCWW

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 cherokee 2.8v6 with auto tranny, I have a ratcheting sound while in 4wd high or low does not matter. Faster I go the faster the sound. Dshaft is able to go up when i push it maybe .5 in but is really firm side to side. What do you think is the cause of this? I have a np207 case right now, if i go to a np231 along with the np231 ds or a 242 and 242 ds will it bolt right up?
TIA
Jon

The front drive shaft on an NP207 is not the same as on an NP231. The NP207 is a flange mount CV joint. You will have to get a newer driveshaft. Also the rear driveshaft is about an inch different IIRC. I can't remember if it is longer or shorter. I did that swap about 8-9 years ago.

so if i get a new ds from the np231 for the front i should be good or will i have to get one for the rear as well? BUT WILL THIS SOLVE MY NOISE PROBLEM?

JOCWW said:
Is it hard to change? Can I cut links or do I have to buy a replacement one?
THe chain is an easy swap. You pull the rear half of the case, pull the front yoke remove some snaprings and pull the main shaft and front output as a unit. Put a new chain on and reverse everything you did to get it out. That is really basic but about all there is to it. It can be don in the jeep with out too much hassle. As for the 207 to 231 difference the 231 is longer. You DS may not work in the rear. The front is as old man described. I have a couple 207's laying arround if you wanted one for a sweet deal to just swap out.

Don't know most likely yea. I'd say $50 or so. I did not realize you were in Cali.

ya got me I think Im just going to take my lift tires winch and rear reciever off and junk the jeep its just got to many problems with it.

went 4 wheelin the other nite, and i was going up a 80 degree incline and i didnt make it the 1st time so i tried it a 2nd time with a running start in 1st 4lo and i pinned it and all of a sudden you hear pop and a whine as the rpms spiked. anyway the car then stumbled part throttle. let it sit over nite and just now it runs semi ok. I swear this jeep has a soul of its own.

Back