• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft moving??

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
I just was hearing some louder than usual banging while hitting bumps and pulling into driveway. I climbed underneath and found nothing loose. (sounded like the lower control arm was loose). But no. So while laying underneath, I rocked the truck froward and backwards (while it is in park). The front drive shaft moved more than 3/4" in either direction, but the rear moved only about 1/4" in. I heard the binding in the Tranny/transfer case. Should the front drive shaft have been moving? I am thinking yes because the front axles were rolling, but that much?

What else is this banging? New shocks look like they are too long (not enough exposed shaft), but it didn't sound like they bottomed out. Adding 1 3/4" coil spacers so that should solve that question.

What is the deal?

Sure feels like it. But I can't get the axel to move when rocking it back and forth. I has suspected the control arms for the past 2 weeks. And am considering replacing all the control arm bushings.

I am going for the smoothest, quietest ride as my goal. This is my wife's DD and it needs to be smooth and quiet.

try rolling backwards and quickly tapping the brakes while someone watches for movement. My bushings didnt look bad, but they were very bad, wore down the 10mm bolts to half their size!

I am replacing just about everything else while doing a mild 1.75" lift, I might as well replace the bushings. Do you all suggest stock ones, or the polyurethane? I know they Poly will last longer, but will they ride harsher? I have heard that some people think they do.

likely feel more road vibe, I can post up tuesday , Parts will be in to do mine (poly)

Last edited:
likely feel more road vibe, I can post up tuesday , Parts will be in to do mine (poly)

I only assumed they were poly, they are the moog problem solver replacements, harder than rubber, but still black?.

1999 XJ Sport

Pulling this post back up. In the past year I have put on a 1.5" spacer lift up front. New lower control arms from Ironman, new sway bar links and bushings, and now new sway bar bushings. I STILL HAVE THE DANG CLANK/RATTLE/BANGING sound. The only thing I can still figure is the upper control arm bushings and the play in the front driveline. I took off the front drive shaft and still hear the CLANK/RATTLE/BANGING. There is play in the axle housing and I can turn the 3rd 1/4-3/4" by hand with the tires not moving. When I had it up on stands last weekend I had ZERO play at the wheels. All the play is in the 3rd.

What do you guys think?

Back