• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kill switch for A/C in winter?

Banditt007

NAXJA Forum User
I find the HVAC controls on the jeep lacking. I wish it had a separate A/C button as well as recirculate. Anyway what i want to do is rig up a switch i can flip to turn off the a/c compressor. The reason being is that you can only recirculate the air in the car using an a/c setting. i'd like to use recirculate and full heat to get the cab hotter faster in the winter, w/o having the a/c cycling a million times.

anyway, what is the best way to do this exactly? I was thinking somehow tapping into the a/c compressor fuse and switching that back and forth. any idea on how to actually tap this to accomplish what i want?

I simply tapped into the wire that engages the ac clutch (right at the dash panel) with a simple rocker switch. With that being said, my jeep is a 94- definitely not an electrical marvel. Don't know about the newer models. My wife's 02 explorer started making metal from the ac compressor (eating itself internally). To keep it from accidentally being turned on and potentially seizing/fragging the serpentine belt, I pulled the "AC" fuse. Unfortunately, on that car, that fuse runs several things- when we started it, it barely ran, and it would not shift into gear. You could just simply unplug the wire at the compressor too, that is what I finally did on the explorer until I got it fixed.

Tapping into that wire at the compressor with a switch would also work, although you'd have to run two long wires into the cab!
Relays baby!!!! No need to have that much current running to your dash.

Just unplug the compressor. Simple and no switch required and no wires run into your dash.

I tapped into the dash switch to kill mine (2000). I installed a switch in the top right corner of the control panel, similar to the one in my Cavalier. I don't get quite the power boost when I turn it off though as I do in the car though.:looney:

Back