• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/V question(s)

bigalpha

I have a butt-ton of wiring in my den from my TV, cable box, etc.

I have cables going from:
cable box to surround/TV.
PS3 to surround/TV
DVD to TV

Set up this way, I have surround sound when watching movies, playing PS3 or watching TV.

However, I have a cable nightmare strung behind the TV and entertainment center. Other than stringing wires between everything, what are some other solutions?

Also, does anyone know of an online database with codes to program universal remotes? I'd really like to have just one remote instead of two or three but I have some newer equipment that I don't have codes for.

TIA

Easy answer depending on what you have now is upgrade the tv. You would have either 1 HDMI or 5 wire component cable bunch from cable box to tv. Then 1 HDMI or component cable from PS3 to TV. Then 1 HDMI or component cable from dvd player (useless with having PS3 which can play dvd's) to tv. Then just one fiber optic cable (toslink) from tv audio out to surround in. Also depending on the tv get a new tv stand that had the cable management channel built into it to keept them neat and organized.

Can't/Won't be upgrading our TV. It only supports component cables, though. We have a 50" TV and it has it's own stand.

Also, the DVD player acts as our surround sound system as well.

You have a cable box a PS3 and a DVD. Does your Surround/Receiver have video inputs as well? If so, run everything into it and run component into the TV from the Surround/Receiver. Don't run any sound into the TV use the surround/Reciever for all the sound. Use HDMI where you can. If you can use all HDMI an Optical is not necessary.

If you don't have video into the Surround then I would connect the cable box, PS3, and DVD separately to the TV using component when you can for best quality. Take an optical from the TV to the Surround for best quality.

Ooops, just reread your post, no HDMI into TV.

BTW, you really don't need the DVD since you have a PS3.

Just reread again. DVD is surround. Man I got to read better!!!!!!

Last edited:
The DVD player is the surround sound system which is why we still use it. We don't have a standalone surround system.

All the audio runs into the dvd/surround system and all the video runs into the TV.

Is this as simple as it gets?

In your situation I would say yes and grab a few zip ties is about your best bet.

Bummer, I thought so.

Basically, I was doing some research on home automation and found where people will wire each room independently from a central hub. While I won't be doing that, I thought maybe I could straighten up what I had.

Thanks.

:eyes:RELATED topic....
Anyone know anything about wireless speakers? For instance in a situation where running wires isn't so easy, maybe use these as the rear speakers? Cost and how well do they work?:cheers:

Back