• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home Network 2.0 (56k beware)

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Version 1 started out with a Verizon router under my desk. I had a wall plate in the wall under the desk with four or five keystone jacks that patched to cat 5e running to a couple rooms. V1 also included the RG-59 that was run when the house was built sometime in the ‘80s. They terminated in a junction box outside the garage opposite of where I had Verizon mount the FIOS equipment.

Enter version 2.0:
I left in place or relocated all of the existing cat 5 lines as they could more than handle my 50/50 FIOS connection to the outside world. First step was run a new cat 6 cable from the FIOS box in the garage to under my desk. I also ran a new quad shielded solid copper RG-6 line to the attic above my den.

The foreground is new RG-6 cabling running to where each will/can tied in to the feed coming in from the garage. Once in the attic I didn’t need Quad shielding, or solid copper so I went with a quality ccs dual shield.

This is towards the end of one of the main cable routes (cat5, cat6 and rg6) running to a corner of the house. A pink band denotes cable TV (RG-6).

This is a different route to another corner. The coil in the very corner has yet to be run down inside a wall.

I kept all of the cables supported, away from electrical and up off of the floor. This set of cables was a back sliding, belly crawling pita to run. Getting them down the wall and out into the room was even worse!

Instead of pulling each bundle of cables down through the wall; and countless trips up and down the ladder I made this little gizmo. I twisted a wire eyelet and taped it to the end of the group of cables; pushed them down the wall until I hit the ground; and then pulled the rod back up and out. Damn it works fantastic. So proud of me! Saved so much time and kept me from stretching the Ethernet cables.

ALL of the lines are clearly marked.

Typical termination punch-down; not bad for a hobbyist, huh?

Beginning to organize and sort wires and keystone jacks at this point. I pulled the extra wire back up into the attic before mounting the jacks in the panel. At this point I still had quite a few more that still had to drop down from the attic.
The real challenge was trying to keep each cable's extra 12'+ coil at the top of the wall, in the attic, half way untangled from itself and the others. I only left 6 - 7 feet coiled at the satellite drops.

:eek:Yes, I like colors:

This is patch panel v2.0; 2.1 is on the horizon.

This is a typical wall plate; and there are at least two of them in every room. The top jacks are cat5e, the centers cat6 and the bottoms coax. (Dust plugs and caps/or 75Ohm caps removed for photo effect.)
With the exception of the added 6 RCA jacks for my surround sound this is the same as whats behind my entertainment system. There I have the Xbox connected to one jack and a switch connected to the other. The TV, Blue Ray and the receiver connect to it. Once I mount the TV to the wall I’ll add another RJ45 and an HDMI keystone to the wall plate and another at the wall bracket.

View from the top:
This is my main router. It is sitting behind the monitor on the computer desk in the Family room. The green and black cables have had their location swapped; black becoming the "line in", before the next photo was taken. The two red run back to the main patch panel, and to its own switch. The gray runs under the desk and green ends up to the computer on the desk, for now.

Last edited:

View from below:
I had to keep the Verizon router connected in order to have menu and On Demand features for the TVs since the Rj45 on the rear of their STBs are not functional. Really? Basically I have a cable running from the upper routers LAN into the WAN jack on this, and an RG6 out and tied in to my coax lines at the passive splitter in the attic.

At the wall is the black WAN and two LAN lines connected to an 8 port gigabit switch each. The unused wall jack, which is not cat6, will eventually run to a third and final switch at the patch panel. The few cat 5 lines in the patch panel will be routed to it since it will be fed by one as well.

And now it is Patch panel v2.1:
I ran out of room, believe it on not.....Tim.

This is the wall behind my desk in the den. Here I have my printer/fax all-in-one connected. The coax jack is there simply because I pulled an RG6 with every Ethernet location. One never knows.

This is directly above my workbench in the garage. It has turned out to be very handy; especially having two jacks. The blue cable was the original WAN line coming into the house, the gray because I had extra. They are "only" cat5, but for what I use them for it's all I would ever need.

Access point in the garage. Originally I had the Verizon router set up here but becuase I couldn't get it to work as a WAP I replaced it with this. It's not the fastest(150Mbs), but its faster than my phone, and that's all I use it for anyway.

This is where the WAP connects to cat6. As a bonus two of the three RG6 lines have RCA connectors. These two run directly to the patch panel in the den and are left and right stereo out-puts from my computer. I used a Y to allow me to use my desktop speakers or feed the Aux inputs on this hand me down 2.1 system. It fills the garage, and half the block with great sound.

And the best part: I can control my music on the computer that's in the house via WiFi from my phone. How cool is that? I think it's the most practical rationalization I have for the entire network.

:clap:

So...this is the current state of my latest hobby project; ~800 ft of RG-6; 1600' of Cat-6 (cu not cca) and ~600' or so of Cat-5 (cu not cca). I'm sure there are things I could have done better or at least differently; I mean, I'm just a carpenter. Being able to put what i want where I want when I want has really been nice. Having everything wired was the goal but I have excellent WiFi coverage to boot. Plenty for a couple smart phones and a laptop!

On a final note this is one place where over kill is not only appreciated, its embraced.

:D

Last edited:
Damn Tim. And I thought *I* went overboard.

I have 7 subnets and 3 vlans, but only 2 computers..

Very nice!
What interface are you using for the phone connect?
I have tried a bunch of them and have not found any that were stable and reliable.
IOW, that my wife could use.

Damn Tim. And I thought *I* went overboard.
I don't know Cal, I've always maintained there's no such thing as overkill. If you run over a squirrel, then back up and run over it 5 more times, it's still only dead.

I do have more than just the two phones and the laptop connected though. I have 2 to 3PCs, two TVs, two Blu rays and an Xbox and a couple other media devices. That's not counting a couple of devices I may have on the workbench. One of these days I'll get around to building a server; and Lorrie wants to add a color laser printer too.

Last edited:
Very nice!
What interface are you using for the phone connect?
Although its not perfect, it is simple and easy to use. I wish it had a method to sort by artist instead of only by album. Using its search feature I can pull up idividual artists, though.
I found it on the Google Play, the name of it is WMP Remote; Remote for WMP Lite. It's by Banamalon OG.
I've been using the free version but I think I'm going to go ahead and pay up.

Last edited:
Banamalon OG.

It must be improved since I tried it.

What are you using for the media player?
I am using Windows Media Player on Windows 8.1 Pro.

I am using the video portion of it also, the DVR and the movie organization.
Will the remote access all of WMP now?

Last edited:
Sean, just looking at the user interface it appears as though it does access all of media player, including videos and photos. I am running Windows 7 Pro but I don't know offhand what version of media player it is. I have not tried using the app for videos as I can get to them directly from my TV. I do have the Home Media LITE companion app installed on my phone, and of course on the computer.

Last edited:
I'm about as confused reading that as my non-Jeep friends are when I start talking about engines and transfer cases and suspensions....

Nice on using Velcro.

I went through a lot of Velcro. Fortunately I found (double sided) it by the roll at HF for $6 - $8 depending on if it was on sale or not. It turned out to be handy enough that I added it to my stock of "things to always keep on hand."

20151030_084925.jpg

Last edited:
I'm about as confused reading that as my non-Jeep friends are when I start talking about engines and transfer cases and suspensions....
LOL. I had to learn more than a few new words to get to this point. Now that the hardware is in there are a bunch more words and head scratching acronyms that need to be loaded into my brain.

I was able to pick up a third switch for just under $20 so I was able to put the last of the connections on line. It looks a little unruly but I have the primary bandwidth requirements divided up between the three switches (red cables are line in).

20151105_080830.jpg

20151102_133658.jpg

The black panels are made by Cables to Go (CTG) and are the only ones I could find that placed the keystone jacks together enough that they all fit between the wall studs.

I purchased all of my jacks, connectors, bulk and prefab cables, etc from Deep Surplus. They even made a solid cable with a factory RJ45 male plug that I ran in from the FIOS box; the box only has a cat 6 jack with no provisions for punch down. The exception being the solid copper RG6 i ran for the main line into the attic; I picked up a pre-fab one from Amazon.

Last edited:
Twin Towers, huh? I want to speak with an attorney.
:D

Back