• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar link rubbing on spring?

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I have some pictures to show of this. I just recently installed a 3" RC lift. And I noticed when I put the home made disconnects on (stock sway bar link with wing nut and a drilled hole for a c clip.) that they were rubbing on my spring. I noticed today that it took a good shaving off my spring.

And I was wondering if a bent steering stabilizer bracket would throw my alignment off. My dad had to pry the passenger side sway bar link away from the steering stabilizer bracket so I could get the link to slide off when doing the front lift.

pictures. Oh I have one broken bolt on the mounts for the sway bar. It broke when I replaced the bushings a while back.
DSCF3938.jpg

DSCF3939.jpg

DSCF3940.jpg

DSCF3941.jpg

DSCF3942.jpg

DSCF3947.jpg

DSCF3949.jpg

I was having the same prob, then I just bought some sway disconnects from RC and it solved ther prob by making the sway shaft longer therefore moving the sway bar up fixing the prob. I think you might need 4" in the ft. hope this helps

I am almost positive that you need an adjustable track bar. Did you get one of those?

I cant tell for sure, can you go out and take more pics?

Anyways you need a longer sway bar link, or you can make/buy a bracket that lowers the frame mounts of the bar an inch or so and moves it forward about an inch. I did both for about 3.5 inches of lift, I lengthened the links when I put in 1.75" spacers, then made a bracket for frame mounts moving it down an inch and forward an inch when I put in the v8 zj coils. I had no rubbing and was very happy with it.

I'll go take more pics. Stock track bar not moved or anything. No alignment was done. But it isnt all that bad. The steering and alignment feel the same as it was when it was stock. I'd like to fix it maybe make it more firm. It plays a lot and I have to go back and forth on it on some roads just to keep it straight.

I'll look into the RC quik discos for the 4" lift. That will hopefully solve my problem.

I'll go take more pics. Stock track bar not moved or anything. No alignment was done. But it isnt all that bad. The steering and alignment feel the same as it was when it was stock. I'd like to fix it maybe make it more firm. It plays a lot and I have to go back and forth on it on some roads just to keep it straight.

I'll look into the RC quik discos for the 4" lift. That will hopefully solve my problem.

ive dissagreed with the idea of soft 3" kits needing trackbar work for quite some time...

ive ran the rc 3" kit for 2 years on stock tb. its not factory engineered, but drives fine, axle is centered.

ive dissagreed with the idea of soft 3" kits needing trackbar work for quite some time...

ive ran the rc 3" kit for 2 years on stock tb. its not factory engineered, but drives fine, axle is centered.

3" lift on my 89 caused the axle to be pulled over to the drivers side about 3/4". drove fine but was noticable by eye, so i got an adjustable TB about 6 months after the lift.

i would say with 3" of lift it is not needed, but prefered.

I am almost positive that you need an adjustable track bar. Did you get one of those?

x2

Reposition the axle side mounting point or get an adjustable tracbar.

I won't tell you were I got mine because no one around here likes Rusty's. :D

As in is a adjustable TB really necessary? And do I need to order longer links from lets say RC? I cant weld or do anything so this would have to be stuff that will be purchased with my next teeny weeny paycheck.

RE makes drop brackets for this type of issue. I wonder if it might be an issue with the skid plate though. It moves the sway bar down and forward. If it fits it will move your sway bar off of the springs, I had this issue after a 4.5" lift. Is your front end alignment off?

because they break just like everything else rusty makes

Not necessarily. I have seem a rusty's lift take a lot of abuse. The track bar design is garbage though!

As in is a adjustable TB really necessary? And do I need to order longer links from lets say RC? I cant weld or do anything so this would have to be stuff that will be purchased with my next teeny weeny paycheck.

In your case yes an adjustable tb is needed and the RC links are fairly cheap if I am not mistaken.

Okay. My front alignment has always been wierd but it's been fine on long roads. Bearable (for me) But I wish it was more solid, no more dead spots and would just plain stay straight.

I'll probably get a ATB and LINKS from RC next paycheck.

Not necessarily. I have seem a rusty's lift take a lot of abuse. The track bar design is garbage though!

my steering dances like you wouldnt believe. i have seen control arms break & leafs break. for my steering box brace was bent wrong and none of the holes matched up at all. junk imo.

Last edited:
as for needing an adjust trac bar dont waste your money listening to these guys. all you need to do is to drill another 7/16" hole about 3/4" to the right of the old one in your lower bracket. this will move the stock trac bar over giving you what you need.

as for needing an adjust trac bar dont waste your money listening to these guys. all you need to do is to drill another 7/16" hole about 3/4" to the right of the old one in your lower bracket. this will move the stock trac bar over giving you what you need.

That can be done too but you have to know as well as any that the guy will probably go higher in the future. So, why not invest in a quality one like an RE, TNT, or IRO trackbar. :dunno: Remember this is just my opinion i'm not trying to start a war here! :D

I also don't think you are lying about rusty's stuff but the rigs i've seen with it haven't had any major issues.

Back