• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone help me with splie count?

tooofast

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to Frankenstein my XJ together and just cannot seem to find a definitive answer to the question of spline count from the crank to the transmission and then transmission to transfer case. What i'd love to know is pretty straight forward but i cannot seem to find a post with a summary.

what is the spline count on a 87 i6 4L motor and when did it change. Also is it the same spline count on the input and output shafts of a transmissions?

Really appreciate the help on this or is someone can point me to the spline count directory that would be killer..

Thanks in advance as always.

Dave

Splines?

We don't have no splines!

We don't have to show you no stinkin' splines!

My heartfelt apologies to the cast and crew of "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"--Badges, we don't got no Badges, we don't have to show you no stinkin' Badges!

Anyway, I went out and looked, my 4.0 got no splines. My clutch disc has splines, but that is another story.

Correct - the engine doesn't have output splines, merely a bore in the crankshaft to accept a pilot bushing/bearing.

The input shaft should be 1.125"-10 spline count. The pilot may be one of two sizes - ~5/8" or ~7/8" (the BA-10 and early AX-15i were ~5/8", all the rest were ~7/8")

Output splines? The BA-10 was 21-spline, the AX-15 and NV3550 were 23-spline.

Correct - the engine doesn't have output splines, merely a bore in the crankshaft to accept a pilot bushing/bearing.

The input shaft should be 1.125"-10 spline count. The pilot may be one of two sizes - ~5/8" or ~7/8" (the BA-10 and early AX-15i were ~5/8", all the rest were ~7/8")

Output splines? The BA-10 was 21-spline, the AX-15 and NV3550 were 23-spline.
Wasn't there a 21-spline AX-15 in a changeover year?

I'd like to note that the shaft behind the chuck on my drill press is also splined

no, I do not remember how many splines.

auto·mo·tive (ôt′ə mōtiv)
adjective

1. moving by means of its own power; self-moving
  2. of or having to do with automobiles or other motor vehicles
I'd say a motorcycle fits both definitions

We must have annoyed tooofast, as he posted and never came back. Looking at my PMs I know I annoyed at least one person in this thread.

Anyway, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)#Available_driveline_components has spline info for the manual trannys at least. http://xjcruiser.com/jeep-cherokee-specification-sheet/ agrees with my recollection that 91 was the year the AW4 changed to 23-spline.

I recall a discussion about 3 different length input snouts on the various years of the transfer cases as well, but I wasn't able to locate where I found that.

Back