• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Class 8.8 strong enough for hitch?

sjroocos

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a hitch, new nutserts. Found the correct size metric bolts. They are Class 8.8. Are they strong enough to hold the hitch (Class III)?

Thanks.

Steve in Colorado Springs
2000 XJ

Class 8.8 is a touch stronger then grade 5 of the sae world. Would I use them? Probably considering you have 4 or more on each side with the nutserts.

My trailer hitch is actually held on with grade 5s... 3 on each side. I put it on before I really knew my ass from my elbow, now that I think about it I should probably change those out before towing again.

It really wouldn't cost that much to go out and get some grade 8s or equivelant. Even if it's just for that warm and fuzzy feeling you get when you use grade 8 bolts over grade 5..

It really wouldn't cost that much to go out and get some grade 8s or equivelant. Even if it's just for that warm and fuzzy feeling you get when you use grade 8 bolts over grade 5..

Grade 8 isn't a Metric bolt. His nutserts take a metric bolt.

8.8 is equal to grade 5, as stated, you want bolts rated 10.9 which is equal to grade 8. when i put my hitch on, i made my own strips from 1/8"x2" steel, droped bolts from the top and put nuts on from the bottom. i also used every hole in the hitch, which means there are six bolts down each side and two more in the center, so there are 14 bolts holding my hitch on. overkill, i know, but it won't fall off either.

zedpapa

I think properly torqued that the eight 8.8 bolts are probably fine. Even if they're loose, they've got more cross section area than the non-graded hitch pin.

99.99% of hitch manufacturers and winch manufacturers ship grade 5 with their products.

Think they know something we don't?

I used 10.9 myself.

I think properly torqued that the eight 8.8 bolts are probably fine. Even if they're loose, they've got more cross section area than the non-graded hitch pin.
Good point. I hadn't even considered that.

I really should get my hitch pin out... it's frozen in and I'm stuck with one drawbar.

Think I'll just use the 8.8's. Don't plan on towing anything heavier than a 2500# boat. Mostly wanted it for a skid back there when I'm dragging the rear end over rocks, so thinking it should be ok.

Thanks for your input.

Steve in Colorado Springs.

Back