• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shift Lever

indyjeepnut

NAXJA Forum User
I was pulling the motor out of an XJ that I picked up for my son last night. I could not get the right angle two damn M12 bolts on the top of the bell housing. I decided to remove the transmission shifter mount and the shift lever that mounts on the side of the tranny. Well I snapped the bolt that the lever mounts to on the side of the tranny off. The bolt that broke goes through the side of the tranny.

Does anyone have an old Junk AW4 laying around? Mine is a 98 if it matters. I would gladly pay for this piece.

Thanks

Indyjeepnut

The part you broke sounds like the manual valve shaft. it goes all the way through the transmission and the NSS is connected at the other end.
If your lever still slips on the shaft but is not secure you could weld it on when you are finished. I had a friend do that to mine after I rebuilt my tranny and got it going again.

The part you broke sounds like the manual valve shaft. it goes all the way through the transmission and the NSS is connected at the other end.
If your lever still slips on the shaft but is not secure you could weld it on when you are finished. I had a friend do that to mine after I rebuilt my tranny and got it going again.

hmm good idea. Never thought about that.

I know this is a 4+ year old thread, but I'm having a similar issue and wanted to pick your brains.

I too sheared off the nut holding the shift lever to the manual valve shaft, but like the OP there is enough "meat" left on the shaft to attached the lever and shift through all of the gears. The lever stays in place but contorts slightly when shifting into Park and I can't quite get it to push far enough to engage the parking prowl and allow me to start the engine in Park (I've been starting in neutral and shifting gears carefully).

I dropped it off at Hi-Tech Transmissions in Merrifield, VA and asked them to weld it. They said they were afraid the heat would melt the seal, even if they MIG welded it, and that to replace the shaft would be $450-500! They said they'd try to weld it for me anyway for "a few hundred bucks". I was thinking a quick tack weld would be more like $50.

Thoughts?

They want way too much to weld that.

Wish this had come up a few months ago, I scrapped a few junk AW4s then just to get them out of the yard.

Back