• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack

cr2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to show off the roof rack I built. I need to weld up a high lift mount for it still, but other than that I'm happy with it. I was thinking of running two half inch bolts through the steel and welding them in for the hi-lift mount. Do you think this will be strong enough? I don't want to lose a window because of it.

DSCN0268.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

Yea I have seen those so I was thinking it would be ok. I have some rubber spacers to keep it from rubbing the side of the rackand I was just going to use a washer and wing nut to hold it. Do you have any way of locking your on? I may drill the end of one of the bolts and put a lock through it, just seeing if there are any better ideas out there.

Looks good! I see you like lights too! :clap:

I would worry if you're just going through the rail parts of the rack..... the weight would cause it to bend down. I would use some sort of bracket going between rails if you fabricate something

I used the same brackets on my waggy for my larger hi-lift. They work great and are quick and easy.

waggy.jpg

I'd love to have it for a tow rig!!!!!

Sorry cr2000xj didn't mean to jack. When I saw that, I had to say something!!

I did just what you are asking about on my old rack. I used all thread, in 12mm size (about 1/2") and it works great. I welded one end of it to the rack, and then welded a large washer on the other end. Put the highlift on the all thread, then used large wingnuts to secure it. The very end of the all thread, I drilled a small hole and installed a small padlock to keep someone from just snatching it.

I also did a shovel on the otherside the same way.

SS100282.jpg

SS100279.jpg

SS100278.jpg

SS100274.jpg

SS100276.jpg

~James

that would be an awesome DD if it didnt gulp down the gas... i would love to have a waggy... looks good!

Thanks guys! Sorry didn't meant to hi-jack your thread CR2000XJ!

It has a Howell TBI (Chevy based) kit on it so MPG is a bit better.....

It's all good that waggy deserved it! It looks great! Thanks for the input everyone, I am going to put the bolt through the two bars like this / \ on the side of the rack, I think they will hold the weight fine. I'll just weld the head of the bolt to the back and a washer to space it or use rubber. If it doesn't work well, the angle grinder makes it easy to start over right? The rack actually turned out pretty light so its not bad to take off anyways.

Thanks again!

Oh and stump, I'm guessing thats the tire I have been trying to get haha. You can see the crappy tire I got up there its only a 235. Good thing I am still open/open or I would be in bad shape

Yep...Looks nice. I wouldn't mind having a rack on my DD. I don't think I want one on my trail rig though. Too tempting to load stuff in it. Not too good when your on the trail IMO.

I payed about 45 for the steel and 50ish for the mounts. I wish I would have made my own mounts and saved a little more money. I guess my total was around $100, but I didn't have to buy any other welding supplies or anything, I still had all I needed laying around. I don't have any pics of the floor, but it is pretty open right now. There are 4 bars running from the front to the back and that is it. If you really plan on putting a lot in there you may want to do a little different. I kinda did it to keep me from putting so much up there and to save weight.

High2by, I love it on there and this is my DD. I wheel it some but not like I would a trail rig so it hasn't been too bad on my COG yet. I know it has effected it, I just haven't put myself in a situation to feel the difference. That rack is actually light enough I can lift it up and take it down pretty easily myself. So the jack and tire are most of the weight. I guess it helps that I am 6'2" as well haha

Back