• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Noise

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
there is still a clanking noise or sounds like bearings grinding themselver to bits. I just spent the last hour plus some removing and replacing the serpentine belt to see if I could make any of the pulleys make noise but nothing, The only thing i noticed was a barely audible chirp from the idler pully which I don't think was it at all and that the water pump shaft moved in and out a little bit. The belt however keeps it from walking. Any thoughts?

check your oil pan for a dent...if you havent bumpstopped its possible. also check for cracked exhaust manifold (causes a metallic tick), if you have a manual check yer TOB/ pilot bushing causing a rumbling noise. try to isolate the noise with a long screwdriver. change with engine rpm or constant?

Manual trans I just noticed.

Could it be a noisy pilot bushing?

Yeah ,, a "rattle chirp" sounds alot like water pump bearings.

every in-line six i have ever owned has been LOUD . there often called
"six Bangers" or "sowing machines"

Thanks for your responses guys. My next step is to take the belt off again and run it for a minute to see if the noise returns. I thought about doing that when I had the belt off but was not sure what the ramifications would be. Yes it changes with engine rpm. I would better describe the noise now that I've been around it under it and over it as like a rock tumbler except that the noise is uneven. It is different that the sewing machine noise that is convetional to our engines.

Last edited:
Back