• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakes... weird stuff

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
i got in my jeep today after it sat backwards on ramps all night.. because i had my driveshaft out replacing the u-joints...

anyway.. i like to put it in 4low to put it on ramps... easier rate of speed.
So when i finished putting my drive shaft in, i decided to take it down the street and back. but my brakes felt really shitty, like the pedal went further to the ground, and not as much stopping power... so i tested it in 4low

so my real question here is, When in 4low, in 1st gear. when you fully apply your brakes while pushing on your gas, do your brakes overcome or does your engine?

i know i chopped it up a bit. just ask specific questions for better understanding.

In 4Lo / First, I was able to stop but had to apply more pedal effort for sure.

im pretty sure my brakes have been able to stop in 4low before...

and i meen brake pedal all the way to the ground, with enough gas to keep the engine running.

for reference. every component of my brakes are new (at the wheel)
There are no leaks in my lines, and my reservoir is full.

ill be posting a youtube video shortly when it gets finished uploading.

Repeating Ad Nauseam (to the point of making people sick) try posting BASIC INFORMATION about your XJ.

Year/engine/trans/tc/other mods: early XJs have weak brakes, add oversize tires, extra weight (bumpers, winches, 250 pounds of crap in the cargo area, etc.), and you have a disaster-in-waiting.

1995 cherokee stock everything, + 3" lift..

i already mentioned my brakes are all new.

its not stopping from high speeds, its the possible lack of braking power.

All the components are new…were the brakes OK for a bit when they were replaced, and now drastically different? If the pedal is not doing anything odd, like needs to be pumped to work better, or spoungy, then it sounds like there may just be crap on the braking surfaces. If the rotors and drums are new, maybe there is still oil on them, as they are stored that way to prevent rust. But this would have been very obvious from immediately after the install of them. Make sure they are well bled. Really well bled.

As far as power braking in 4 lo, I would be more concerned about whether you can stop from high speed. If you have ABS, maybe it is causing an issue..?

Back