• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A deal but Issuing a new title?

Nova Wake

NAXJA Forum User
I have found a 99 cherokee wit minor fender bender damage and 160000miles but for 600. He as fixed most the problems and it runs fine cept for a wireing harnass for the lights. Catch is although he says the title is clean, he can't find it but he says he knows te previous owner aws well. How ard is it to issue a new title? I tink ican talk himdown to 500 for the jeep. Its a bit beat up but not 2bad.

I have found a 99 cherokee wit minor fender bender damage and 160000miles but for 600. He as fixed most the problems and it runs fine cept for a wireing harnass for the lights. Catch is although he says the title is clean, he can't find it but he says he knows te previous owner aws well. How ard is it to issue a new title? I tink ican talk himdown to 500 for the jeep. Its a bit beat up but not 2bad.

The proper way for this to happen is for him to apply for a missing title with the DOT, then when he gets that, he can sell it to you.

If you buy the vehicle with no title, it can be a biatch trying to get one.

Ron

get the title first then also find out if it has any dues on the tags.... as some lowlifes will try to pass the buck to you for paying up on late tags....sometimes its alot of cash..

I've gotten duplicate titles on several occasions. It's not really hard. As wishbone said, just go to the title office with the vin and your ID. They will print a new one and void any outstanding titles.

Depends what state you are in and that state's laws. I know in MA you either need either:
A) title
or
B) copy of the previous registration and a bill of sale. (I.e. in your case if he had a copy of his previous registration and wrote you a bill of sale, you would be good to go.)

In MA a title proves ownership.. you need a title to get a registration, thus a registration in your name also proves ownership (unless it is a voided registraion of course). The only reason you need a bill of sale is to list the selling price so you can pay the proper taxes. Once you get to the RMV they can look up the information via the registration.
Check out your state's DMV page, Its gotta be on there somewhere.

Back