• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bump-Stop Bolts??

Cardinal1

NAXJA Forum User
Need some help...

I tried to replace my rear bump-stops today, and broke the bolts attaching them to frame rail!! (On both sides, even after about a can of PB Blaster)

Any suggestions on how to remedy this issue???

Any and all help is appreciated!

[FONT=&quot]On my 01 XJ, the frame rail has either a welded nut or a nutsert that the bolts threads into.
Did it break off flush or is the enough of bolt left to grab with a set of vise grips?
Either way, start soaking them in penetrating oil and, using flat-tip punch, smack the end the remaining bolt(s), every so often to help loosen it.
Do this for a couple of days before proceeding.

If it broke off flush, try first center punching the bolt and then drill it out with series of drills, going from small to larger. You can try an easy-out but be gentle; it doesn't take much to break one off.
Good luck and stay cool[/FONT]

I broke one bolt on each side so I added extended bump stops (GoJeep style). I put a bolt on one end of the 2x2 and welded the other end...then bolted the bumpstops to that. Worked great.

Thanks for the input!

No, they broke off flush, so I can't get ahold of them.

What is the GoJeep Method? I am not familiar...

Thanks again!!!

You can look at a web site (GoJeep) and search for rear bump stop extensions... That's where I got the measurements from. There's other websites that give the same info but I can't remember right now. Hope that helps.

When I pulled them at the yard, I did a rough comparison to some on an XJ. They seem bigger all around. I can't compare them to my XJ here, though, as it doesn't have any.

are the MJ stops longer?

MJ bumpstops part #52002078, they are 4.61" tall (the longer of the 2 made). Harder to find at the junk yard. You can get them from stealership but they want a premium price.

Back