• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i got a tech question, in need of OPINION

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys

im not asking how to do anything, or where anything is, i was just looking for an opinion

a while back i bought a set of 2 " lift shackles. (that add two inches, not that say 2 inches bigger and only add one)

well my rustys 4.5 springs are great, they give me at least 5" in the rear and its level witht the front. the only problem is, they are kinda stiff, and my articulation is wonting...

i was going under my rig anyways tomorrow, so i had a thought

i was planning on removing only one of the springs, that little one at the bottom, however i was wondering, do you thing that if i removed the two bottom most springs and threw the shackle on that it would be level, or only like a half inch higher? i have a hitch, and i tow sometimes, so i know that having a higher rear is important, but i also know that it looks stupid as hell when its pitched like two inches higher in the rear than in the front. not to mention that the shocks would bottom out and my brake lines would be tight as hell..

so what do you guys think? take off the two bottom most leaves and throw the shackle on, or just take out the bottom one and hope it rides softer.

FWI:
i still have stock shackles
i AM willing to drive around with some heavy stuff in the bed to level it out if you guys think that would help

thanks
Travis

Yeah, the stock shackles are what's killing you. My general recommendation to people is to always run a size smaller leaf pack (i.e., a 3" pack for 4.5" lift) and balance it out with a longer shackle.

How long have you had the springs on there for? How much 'flexing' have you done with them?

If they're relatively new, try going on some trips with the front swaybar still connected to make the rear work more. Also carrying junk back there will help too.

As far as removing leaves...people do this all the time, and it can always be put back to the way it was. Biggest thing you'll run into is increased likelihood of axle wrap (and thus bent springs) by removing them.

I'd try breaking them in by keeping the front connected first though, unless they've already got some use on 'em...

meh, ive had em for over a year now and have flexed the most i could out of em. its mosly just making my ride rougher and killing me on off camber situations...

both sway bars are long gone and forgotten about

i know that i CAN take off the leaves, i was just wondering if anybody knew if it would settle enough with only the three main leaves so that the 2" lift shackle wouldnt raise it too high (i aint ready for full widths and 38's yet ;))

thanks though
Travis

Back