• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Threw the spacers in, now getting some death wobble (and noise)

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

Well, I got those coil spacers installed yesterday (netting a smidge over 1" of lift, which was perfect), however, I now have a clunking sound coming from the front suspension when I hit a bump (and if I do any kind of quick left-to-right turns and vice-versa). Also, when going over 40 mph and hitting a bump, I get the infamous Death Wobble until I slow down to about 10 mph.

Now, I think I know *exactly* why this is... In my haste to get everything back together, I believe I cross-threaded the nut on the lower track bar mount (the one that's welded to a little tab to help make the reinstallation easier) and it seems to have a bit of play in it even when messed with by hand... I couldn't tighten it as well as I should've been able to.

At this point, all I want is a replacement nut and bolt for the lower (axle) mount, however, *NOBODY* sells these parts. Any tips on suitable replacements? I've looked at complete replacement track bar kits (including one by TRW, which is supposedly stouter than Moog's offering...?) but they only include the upper ball joint hardware - not a single one comes with the lower bolt (and more importantly the replacement nut). Any tips?

Also, If I was to opt to replace the lower track bar bushing, what tool(s) would make this as easy as possible? I have nothing in the way of bearing pullers, so it might be time to invest. If anyone has a tip, it'd be much appreciated!

Just use a regular nut and bolt. When I had my D30, I used a poly bushing with a 1/2" diameter sleeve in my RE trackbar, and I just used a regular grade 8 1/2" nut and bolt.

Tools that would be helpful for replacing bushings are a mallet, some sockets, and if you have one, a vice would make things easier. Bearing pullers wouldn't really help here since its not a bearing.

Also, did you get an alignment after you added the spacers?

Hey everyone,

Well, I got those coil spacers installed yesterday (netting a smidge over 1" of lift, which was perfect), however, I now have a clunking sound coming from the front suspension when I hit a bump (and if I do any kind of quick left-to-right turns and vice-versa). Also, when going over 40 mph and hitting a bump, I get the infamous Death Wobble until I slow down to about 10 mph.
the clunking.. well you seem to have a good idea what that is by the rest of your post.

the DW- you have lifted your vehicle it needs an alignment. When you lift a vehicle, no matter how much, you will throw the caster off, how much depends on the size of the lift. Some shops claim that there is no caster adjustments but. On most XJ's there are shims that are used on the lower body side control arm mount. And even though you only went up an inch your axle has now been shifted to the drivers side a bit, and that is controlled by your track bar.

Now, I think I know *exactly* why this is... In my haste to get everything back together, I believe I cross-threaded the nut on the lower track bar mount (the one that's welded to a little tab to help make the reinstallation easier) and it seems to have a bit of play in it even when messed with by hand... I couldn't tighten it as well as I should've been able to.

It needs to be really tight. Do not forget that when tightening any suspension/steering component to do it as it would sit at idle, i.e. on the ground/not flexed at all.

At this point, all I want is a replacement nut and bolt for the lower (axle) mount, however, *NOBODY* sells these parts. Any tips on suitable replacements? I've looked at complete replacement track bar kits (including one by TRW, which is supposedly stouter than Moog's offering...?) but they only include the upper ball joint hardware - not a single one comes with the lower bolt (and more importantly the replacement nut). Any tips?

Do you have another ride? Or a friend that can take you to the hardware store? Take out the old nut and bolt and bring it to the hardware store and match it up to get another one. Or go to the junk yard and get one off another Cherokee. None of the replacement(stock) bars that I know of will come with that bolt. Some of the aftermarket adjustable one's do. I know that the RE one does as I use one, and they have you drill out that lower hole to use the larger bolt. If you plan to go any higher, be honest you know you want to, get an adjustable track bar.

Also, If I was to opt to replace the lower track bar bushing, what tool(s) would make this as easy as possible? I have nothing in the way of bearing pullers, so it might be time to invest. If anyone has a tip, it'd be much appreciated!

I have not seen the bar bushings for the stock bars separately but I really have not looked for then either.If one is available you would most likely need a press of some sort.I have a ball joint press that does double duty. Besides ball joints I have used it for control arm bushings, u-joints, and many other applications. If you were going to by any type of press I would suggest one of these.

I used a regular nut on mine, too. Works great. Also, for a cheap alternative you can get an adjustable track bar from carparts.com for about 75 bucks. Made by rusty.

I used a regular nut on mine, too. Works great. Also, for a cheap alternative you can get an adjustable track bar from carparts.com for about 75 bucks. Made by rusty.

Trackbars are the WORST thing made by rusty's. DON'T do this.

Thanks for all the input, an alignment will be the next thing on my list.

Regarding the bolt though, is the stock bushing 1/2" inner diameter? The nut actually appears to be salvageable, but the bolt is hosed. I'm having the damnedest time finding a grade 10.9 metric bolt - is it an M10-1.50 like it appears to be?

That's the bolt.

And Rusty's track bar is not the best trackbar out there but it's better than stock and cheaper than the oem part. I've used it problem free on my rig.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated for all your support. I couldn't for the life of me find a suitable 10.9 metric bolt, so I went ahead and picked up the nearest SAE match I could find (which ended up being a 3/8-16 x 3" bolt IIRC).

For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread in the future, the 3/8" bolt is a perfect fit for the stock track bar bushing and serves as a great replacement. If you can machine about 1/4" off the end of the bolt it'd be a much better fit (as when fully tightened, there's not enough room between the tail of the bolt and the track bar bracket to remove a closed-ended wrench, which makes the job a hell of a lot easier).

Getting the track bar tightened up remedied the Death Wobble issues in this case, but I'll still be scheduling an alignment to err on the side of caution. My, what a difference a properly secured track bar can make :D

Why do you say this? Mine has been on for over a year and I haven't had any problems.

I have the one with the bushings on both ends though, not with the rod end on the body side mount.

if you actually wheel your jeep hard the old ones dont hold up. the new ones with the 22mm ends hold up nice

I'm gonna go for thread hijack #2 and post a semi-poser shot I took this evening at a buddy's BBQ now that everything is in place :D

moabs2.jpg

Back