• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion length question

chedisme

NAXJA Member
so im swaping in an xj D44 to replace my C8.25. and at the same time I am doing a hack and tap. Id like to order the driveshaft after I do the HnT, but before I swap the axles.

so Here are my questions

1. is the pinion length on the diff of D44 the same as the length as the one on the C8.25?

2. and are the U-joints on an explorer axle the same size as the jeep axles? (i kinda worded that funny) basically will an explorer shaft bolt up to the D44.

thanks

think 8.25 n 444 same.read a lot about certain front shafts from exploders bein bigger and firrin xjs.think u joints same search some threads i know i read about shaft swap

I removed an 8.25 and installed a D44 without having to change my driveshaft, so the pinion lengths are similar.
Explorer axles use 1330 u-joints I believe (or is it 1350?). Either way, they are bigger than the stock xj joint, which is a 1310. You could use an explorer driveshaft with your D44 by installing a conversion u-joint, 1310 on two of the ears and 1330 on the other two.

your right that's what i read on a thread somewhere.and the front explorer d/s from what i understand is way beefier than using a xj. good stuff to remember when it's sye time..

I recently did a C8.25 to D44 conversion on my 5 speed - '98. The space between the tcase and pinion was within 1/4"....good enough for me.

Back