• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want A/C back! Need some help

rookcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So the previous owner used my rig for strictly off road purposes and it currently doesn't have A/C or heat. He said when I purchased it that he had removed the condenser. To regain A/C do I only have to replace the condenser and it will work again? I don't know much about A/C at all, so this is kind of a doozey to me. :helpme: Any suggestions would be great. What should I look for?

Thanks!

So the previous owner used my rig for strictly off road purposes and it currently doesn't have A/C or heat. He said when I purchased it that he had removed the condenser. To regain A/C do I only have to replace the condenser and it will work again? I don't know much about A/C at all, so this is kind of a doozey to me. :helpme: Any suggestions would be great. What should I look for?

Thanks!

You need someone to look over the rig to see what else might be missing. The fact that it doesn't have heat has nothing to do with the condensor, so who knows what else is wrong.

IF the condensor was the ONLY thing that was missing, you would still need to evac the system to get all of the moisture out of the system, maybe replace other defective parts, test the system for leaks, and charge it. So, in other words, you need some help in person. Try posting up in your local chapter and ask for some help.

You need someone to look over the rig to see what else might be missing. The fact that it doesn't have heat has nothing to do with the condensor, so who knows what else is wrong.

IF the condensor was the ONLY thing that was missing, you would still need to evac the system to get all of the moisture out of the system, maybe replace other defective parts, test the system for leaks, and charge it. So, in other words, you need some help in person. Try posting up in your local chapter and ask for some help.

Well, I have a few manuals and none of them show anything about the A/C system and it's components so I don't know what to look for. Does anyone have a diagram or something of the sort I can take a look at? Thanks!

I have installed AC in a non AC rig before. I would pull the dash, then pull the whole heater/AC assy. My first stop would be a pull-n-save yard and grab the whole assy. You are then going to have to look over the rest of the rig. Do you have the evaporator (looks like a skinny radiator) in front of your radiator? Do you have the condensor cannister on the frame rail just below the alternator? Does your rig have the heater control valve just infront of the firewall?

To clarify what you need to look for in the A/C system....
There is a condensor coil in front of the radiator, a refrigerant pump (compressor), an accumulator/drier on the passenger side near the firewall (depending upon what year XJ) and a evaporator coil under the dash next to the heater core.
If the condensor was removed as the previous owner stated...; then you may see open hoses near the radiator that were connected to the condensor...

What year is your XJ?
If your Jeep is older than 1993; you will need to convert the refrigerant from R12 to R134a.

Last edited:
Havent been able to locate an online diagram to reference, but you might consider purchasing the Jeep Factory Service Manual for 1989 which will answer all of your questions and assist you in working on your Jeep.

Shortly after purchasing my 1998 XJ; I invested in the FSM and this book has paid for itself countless times over....

Do a search on Ebay and you can purchase manuals on paper and in CD form.
Below is on that I found doing a quick search.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Jeep-Cherokee-Wrangler-Comanche-Service-Manual-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem518c764a8dQQitemZ350248913549QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Back