• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockrite install in vacuum 30

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys

my buddy got a lockrite for his yj. its got the same Dana 30 vacuum as older cherokees, just spring under so i figure its the same install as it is for us.

we are installing it on saturday and i had a couple questions.
is it possible to pull the spider gears without removing the ring and carrier all together? also, with 4.10s will it be necessary to grind some teeth to get the crosspin out?

if you guys have some links on hand u can just post up, no need to write anything out, just looking for a direction..
thanks
travis

Do your self a favor pull the whole carrier and mark the rind gear and pull it too. You cannot grind enough to get the cross pin out.

thats what i figured. that involves setting the whole system up again correct? like checking for backlash and meshing?

also, im doing the gears on my 30 and 8.25 soon (4.56), so i know that ill have to pull it anyway, but will i need to grind the 30 as well to get the cross pin in? i thought it was only the 8.25 that needed the grinding on the teeth...

rocklandxjer said:
thats what i figured. that involves setting the whole system up again correct? like checking for backlash and meshing?

also, im doing the gears on my 30 and 8.25 soon (4.56), so i know that ill have to pull it anyway, but will i need to grind the 30 as well to get the cross pin in? i thought it was only the 8.25 that needed the grinding on the teeth...

as long as everything is torqued in to spec it shouldn't be a problem without settin it up, i stripped mine down to a bare carrier when i did my front locker, i don't like grinding on gears, on the flip side my 8.25 cross pin came out with the ring on, not sure if that remains the same with deeper gears tho

rocklandxjer said:

If you mark the ring gear and the bolts and put it all back together like it was then you should nto have a problem. I didn't when I did mine. Ran it for a couple years with no issues.

Back