• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick real axle question

PrescottXj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 jeep xj sport a few weeks ago, its all stock and it has abs so i assumed it was the dana 35, but i was looking at it today and it has a sticker on the end of the passenger side that says jeep 8.25 and yes i searched and didn't find much. Thanks alot

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

Hope my pictures work

Definitely 8.25 - you can see the square-ish bottom lip of the diff housing (barely) and it has a lip/rim around the edge of the diff cover. If the diff cover edge was flat and the bottom of the housing round it would be a d35.

weird i thought all jeep xj's with abs were supposed to have dana 35's. i knew the previous owner and he owned it since it had 7000 miles and he never touched a thing on it.

That'd be a new one. Take a picture of the brake master cylinder, please.

That paper tag on the axle could be telling you that it had been replaced within the first 7k miles for whatever the reason. I too, was under the abs/d35 impression.

weird i thought all jeep xj's with abs were supposed to have dana 35's. i knew the previous owner and he owned it since it had 7000 miles and he never touched a thing on it.
What makes you think it has ABS?

haha it has abs and it works too, we have been having some rain here for the last few weeks so i made sure it worked. i can post a picture of the dash light if you want?

A better way to verify whether or not ABS is present would be to look at the relay box in the engine bay to see whether or not the relays for the ABS circuits are present.

Or look for the ABS wires going to the rear brakes. No wires going to the brakes = no ABS
What little bit I can see in the picture, it doesnt appear to have ABS.

I don't see any ABS pump or wires. My XJ had that same tag on the axle, it just says the axle model, open diff vs. LS, gear ratio, and part number. My course, my XJ happens to be an '00 Sport as well, so maybe it's just on the later XJs.

Yep,no ABS there!

haha it has abs and it works too, we have been having some rain here for the last few weeks so i made sure it worked. i can post a picture of the dash light if you want?

Most jeeps have an ABS light and it comes on wheather you have abs or not. I dont have ABS aqnd the light still comes on.

Back