• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 inch Shackles

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
:geek:Want to add another inch does any one know where to get a 1 in shackle i found some 1 in coil spacers from rocky road.

Chevy drop shackles will net you some lift on our vehicles.

my buddy just did mj's on his tonight and he netted about 1".

i want to do new rear shackles so bad im going nuts about it, but that top shackle bolt is seriously taunting me, i know it's going to break on me =/

PB Blast it a couple times a day for a week, it's done wonders for many and may be your only hope.

On the PB-Blaster, I'm not sure it actually helps but it can't hurt. My bolts were dry in the section where they threaded together when I finally got them out and I PB-Blasted them religiously every day for two weeks. If you're going to, make sure you get the PB-Blaster *above* the bolt hole - as in spray it angled up over the bolt and let it trickle down in, it'll get more in there than spraying from below and hoping for capillary action will. I think it at least broke the bushing liners free from the bolts as I started hearing a lot more creaking and grinding after a few days, but I know for a fact it did nothing for getting the bolt out of the weldnut.

As for bolt out of the weldnut - MoparManiac told me that he's had amazing luck using a flame wrench to heat the nut up cherry red and then using a breaker bar. He's only broken one rear shock bolt (EVERYONE breaks these!) and it was the one he was too lazy to use a torch on, and no leaf bolts. Just poke a 5/16" or so hole in the frame rail under the weldnut and hit it with an oxy-mapp torch (60 bucks at Home Depot) till it's a nice red color, then put your foot on the breaker bar and crank on it till it breaks free... keep it moving, don't let it sit for too long, and don't set your Heep on fire.

EDIT: and probably replace the bolts after torching them, it ruins the heat treating. You want grade 10.9 from an auto parts store, or if you don't feel like hunting them down, these are what I used (OEM part numbers):
4x part number 3420 2118 (bolt)
4x part number 1150 2814 (nut, get 4 in case you need to replace the weldnuts)
Google for people selling them, I got mine from http://stores.zmjeeps.com but there are a lot of other sellers.

Last edited:
Looked at all local JY can not find MJ shackels any where looks like I will have to order some daystar has the 1 in.

Also take a look at the relocation brackets I sell, you will net about an inch of lift and will have a better on road ride as well as better offroad flex.

holy crap thats alot, umm id buy that relocation bracket its a better idea then just longer shackles, it gives u more flex and better shackle angles...

Also take a look at the relocation brackets I sell, you will net about an inch of lift and will have a better on road ride as well as better offroad flex.

But will work better with a longer shackle then they would a stock shackle. The longer shackle forces the pack to go flat when hitting a bump.

Between the control arm drop setup and Brian's shackle relocation kit and 2.2 Rough Country shocks, my heep literally rides better then most Cadillacs or BMW's I've driven. Wind and tire noise is another story though.

My plan, eventually, will be Brian's relocation brackets, boomerangs, and a dodge van bastard pack. Lift, flex, and ride, all in one. Hopefully in the next 3 months.

I went with MJ shackles, $20 at the JY (I didn't even have to pull them) and netted about .75" They went on just fine, I didn't even use a penetrant on the bolts.
Relocation brackets will be next...

Back