• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio/Shifter not lighting up.

ChairOKing

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently purchased a 1996 Jeep XJ. Whenever I bought it, the radio that was in it didn't have a face plate and so I couldn't tell if the radio worked or not. The little lights that light up the shifter did not work though. I recently replaced the radio with a brand new one, and it just does not come on whenever I start my jeep. I looked and I can't see any burned fuses. Does anyone have any suggestions? I searched the forum and couldn't find any specific enough answers.

P.s I wasn't sure where I should post this...so If I posted in the wrong forum let me know.

Last edited:
Does the radio work at all ? There are two power feed wires to the radio {stock) one for "memory" one for "play" also check that dimmer switch is not turned down too low.That effects the radio in my 96.
Check bulb in shifter bezel ,or wire connection.

Wayne

shifter bulb is part of the dashboard lighting, so it should only come on when parking lights are on. if it doesn't, pop the shifter faceplate off and change the bulb

radio wiring tends to be specific to the radio, but on mine the backlighting does not work with that circuit unless the parking lights are on. I also noticed that the PO had wired the backlighting to the igntion power lead in order to force the backlighting on, so I assume this is a normal issue.

The radio doesn't work at all. It doesn't light up, play music, anything.

and the dimmer switch is turned up all the day

Back