• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case drop instead of SYE

johnferg69

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to get the Rough Country 4.5 Xseries lift with 32".

The kit comes with a T-case drop. I wanna get the SYE when the budget allows along with re-gearing and axle upgrades.

Will the T-case drop work for now??

I don't like the idea of a tcase drop and I'm surprised how accepted they are. Here is what I don't like-- you are tilting the engine and transmission down, while the exhaust stays in the same place. That means you're bending the whole rigid exhaust system and putting constant stress on every seal. Why aren't people concerned with the exhaust leaks?

I don't like the idea of a tcase drop and I'm surprised how accepted they are. Here is what I don't like-- you are tilting the engine and transmission down, while the exhaust stays in the same place. That means you're bending the whole rigid exhaust system and putting constant stress on every seal. Why aren't people concerned with the exhaust leaks?
exhaust leaks come free of charge with the headers...

the exhaust system isn't "rigid" per-say, it is rubber mounted, and the next mount past the dounut is on the trans mount, which drops proportionally with the trans drop, not putting stress on that link.

the real problem I have with T-Case drops is that you spend all that money on a lift, and your belly is dragging.... fine as a stop gap until you get the sye though i love seeing all of the high dollar rigs at show and shines with t-case drops. why bother. fine for the parking lot i guess.

Do the lift, but not the TC drop. Get it aligned and drive it. If you have driveline vibes, put in the TC drop and or axel shims. Then start saving for the SYE, do it when you can If the TC drop or shims don't cure the vibes, do the SYE soon as possible.

Here are a couple of Options you may think about. Dropping the Transfer Case decreases Transfer Case Clearance. The J Yard Yoke and Driveshaft may be inexpensive enough to think about and with it one could keep their TC Clearance intact IMHO. If the Transfer Case Output Shaft ever breaks (which I doubt) you can Upgrade the TC to a HD 32 Spline SYE Kit and TW Driveshaft at that time.

A Slip Yoke SYE can be had off most any Chevrolet TH350 for a couple bucks. If the vehicle has a TH350... it will have a Slip Yoke as well.

A Front Driveshaft can be had for as low as $15 or there abouts. If you click the "Home" Link you could do a search from your Zip Code instead of mine.
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sea...2.45&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=105

Jeep XJ with a 4.0L and AW4 the Front Driveshaft is about 30 1/2"s Collapsed. Just a hair longer if I remember right.

ZJs are all a little different in length, however, a Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ (1996-1998) w/ 4.0L Engine; w/ 242 Transfer Case are 33"s in Collapsed Length.
http://www.crownautomotive.net/category/ZJ-Front-Prop-Shaft.html

If you are unsure if what you have may not fit... you can Measure Center of Joint to Center of Joint at Full Drop (Rear End Lifted Up and Tires Hanging at Full Drop). Extend the Front Driveshaft and see if it is longer than needed. If the Extended Front Driveshaft is Longer than needed then all should be fine IMHO.

Here is the Thread on doing a J Yard SYE and Front Driveshaft:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=959008&highlight=SYE+yoke

Here is Iron Rock 4x4's SYE and Front Driveshaft Instruction PDF on doing a SYE and a Front Driveshaft.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/hack and Tap Install.pdf

Hope this helps.

Do the lift, but not the TC drop. Get it aligned and drive it. If you have driveline vibes, put in the TC drop and or axel shims. Then start saving for the SYE, do it when you can If the TC drop or shims don't cure the vibes, do the SYE soon as possible.

Yes, and made my own TC drop.
One inch steel square stock and new grade 8 bolts. I was in to it 6bucks

Back