• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember woes are killing me

tonofclay2

NAXJA Forum User
So I snatched up a stock crossmember from the JY and beefed it up substantially. But after installation I noticed the t-case linkage didn't line up at all, in fact I couldn't even shift at all because the horizontal leverage arm came out of its bracket. Aldo the bracket on the transmission was hitting the t-case shifter cup. Inexorably I was led to think that this was the wrong x-member. Lying my old bowed one and the new one side by side I noticed the stock one had a shorter mouting surface which allowed everything to line up correctly. I added some 1/4" spacers but that only lasted a week and now I can feel everything shift and bump my tunnel when I accelerate. Sooooo...

Does anyone know of the year differences in x-members; manual/automatic?

you use inexorably in sentences very often?

not to insult your ability, but are you sure it's not installed backwards? I seem to remember that the mount holes are offset an inch or so to the passenger side. Maybe it's out of alignment due to it pulling everything toward the drivers side??

not to insult your ability, but are you sure it's not installed backwards? I seem to remember that the mount holes are offset an inch or so to the passenger side. Maybe it's out of alignment due to it pulling everything toward the drivers side??

I think it is just the actual mount that is offset not the crossmember.

They only go one way. Tried to flip it around but the transmission holes don't line up. It actually moved everything about 2" up which is what is giving me the problems. That's why I'm led to believe the x-members are different depending on what transmission u have. Which is what I'm trying to find out. Back to the jy

Back