• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now that the "clunkers" will be hitting the yards........

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
I have a couple questions.
#1. My '98 Limited has a power driver's seat that quit working a while back, any ideas what would it take to swap in a manual track so I don't have to worry about this again (other than going on a diet) or better yet swap in ZJ/WJ seats!

#2. IIRC there are some ZJ and WJ suspension parts that will fit that can help on road handling including WJ LCA's and V-8 ZJ front sway bars, can I use a ZJ rear bar or do I have to source an after market one like Helwig's (3/4" dia) or Addco's? I still have no intentions on lifting the truck since it spends about 99.9% of it's time on paved roads, as bad as they are.

While the truck does need the rear brakes done, I already have all the parts collected to put new pads and rotors up front as well as everything but parkingbrake cable and backing plates out back, so for now the read risk swap is out of the question.

Thanks

I thought that the motor had to be destroyed and the chassis turned into a cube.

You can just swap seat rails I believe and just mount your current seat on the manual rails.

...and I agree, the cash for clunkers isnt going to help anyone get parts.

I thought that the motor had to be destroyed and the chassis turned into a cube.

That's what I'd heard as well. IIRC they will pull the axles and maybe the tranny/t-case, doors/interior parts are optional to pull, the rest of the hulk is squashed into a cube.

This plan is a nightmare for those looking for older XJ hulks to snag parts off of. They simply won't show up in the yard, and I don't know if the running gear will make most yards either. If anyone has a link that details the plans for the running gear, please post it.

I was at Ecology in Santa Fe Springs and the clunkers still have the motor & everything in them, but they are painting the engines and putting tags on them.
I forgot to check the axles, but I think they may be painting them to indicate its a clunker too.
I heard they have 6 months to sell the non drivetrain parts.

http://www.cars.gov/faq

What happens to the vehicle I trade in?

The CARS Act requires that the trade-in vehicle be crushed or shredded so that it will not be resold for use in the United States or elsewhere as an automobile. The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles in this manner will be allowed to sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train.

also:

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1914367,00.html

Sadly, it's already helped me get parts. Everything except for the motor can be sold by junkyards for six months. After that, they go into the shredder.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the axles, etc. I'll check on this Saturday's junkyard crawl.

I was at Ecology in Santa Fe Springs and the clunkers still have the motor & everything in them, but they are painting the engines and putting tags on them.
I forgot to check the axles, but I think they may be painting them to indicate its a clunker too.
I heard they have 6 months to sell the non drivetrain parts.

Yup, I was at that same yard. There were the two 2001 XJs and the 2000 WJ. I grabbed a bunch of parts off all of them. One of the intakes I got had a couple of specks of orange paint that they were using to mark the engines. But I just scraped them off.

You're not the one that got the header panel off the silver 01, are you?

Hmmmm...this sounds like a pretty screwed Gov't "help" plan. Maybe it'll open a window for enterprising folks to make more OEM-type aftermarket parts. If I had space or know someone who did, I suggest hoarding XJ,ZJ,WJ parts. They may get a bit scarce.

Not that any of this "program" makes sense, but it really doesn't make sense that drivetrain components cannot be resold.

Gotta love government forced market in what's supposed to be a free market. :mad:

..yeah here in the Midwest this "Cash for Clunkers " deal is really haveing an adverse effect on the effort to obtain many XJ engine and body parts-My ol 1986 has rusted apart mostly everywhere due to the seasonal phenomena of salting the streets here in winter-I recently attempted and failed to purchase a fairly new 1996 XJ body only from one of the local junkyards because of this vendor's assistance that "the vehicles have to be crushed and shredded to be re-cycled"-In my personal estimation it is already hard to keep our Jeeps running and it seems this oxymoronic policy will soon hasten the limited supply of available replacement parts for all our vehicles-TIA

All of the clunkers in our town are being crushed. There are 10 or so nice XJ's in line today. Sad, very sad.

Just look at all of them in this local news video.

Fortunately, there are eleventy billion additional XJ's that weren't crushed from this program.

The main goal of a salvage yard is to sell salvage parts. If they have the option to keep and sell non-drivetrain parts, they will. I don't think it will be that hard to find a 4.0L engine, a 231, and a D30 in the future.

P.S. To answer the OP's question, swap the power seat sliders with manual ones. They are held to the seat frame with four bolts.

Yup, I was at that same yard. There were the two 2001 XJs and the 2000 WJ. I grabbed a bunch of parts off all of them. One of the intakes I got had a couple of specks of orange paint that they were using to mark the engines. But I just scraped them off.

You're not the one that got the header panel off the silver 01, are you?

No, but I got the speaker pod out of the 97. Did you get the axle shafts? I was just there again today, saw that silver 01.

Back