• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust and Undercoating

LazersGoPEWPEW

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been diving under my XJ lately to check out the developing rust. Nothing looks severe but I'm going to take my grinder to a lot of it.

I've got some rust on my differential also and wonder if I should even bother trying to knock it off.

I've also noticed that the factory undercoating is pretty much gone and planned on spraying some of it back on.

I'll be getting line-x in the tub after I remove all the interior so that should take care of interior rust issues.

Would it be better to get a wire wheel or one of those rust/paint removal wheels I see a lot. Some of this stuff is kinda awkward shaped. Like my ebrake assembly is pretty much rusted to hell almost.

Knocking the rust off your differential will allow more to form, unless you paint it afterwards. I'd probably leave that alone or let the rocks take it off for you...

Undercoating - go for it, just remove the existing rust or spray rust converter on it first. Also worry about the insides of the frame rails, junk loves to collect in there and corrode things.

I personally like rust/paint removal wheels (the ones that look like huge brillo pads on a stick), just be really damn careful else you will certainly lose some skin... they are vicious.

Yea I definitely will. I've never even used an angle grinder before so I'm walking into new territory. I might drive it to the base garage and put it on a lift so it's a little easier to do.

If I were to paint the differential what type of paint should I use?

I've never seen rust converter. What is that? Thanks for your reply.

Yea I definitely will. I've never even used an angle grinder before so I'm walking into new territory. I might drive it to the base garage and put it on a lift so it's a little easier to do.

If I were to paint the differential what type of paint should I use?

I've never seen rust converter. What is that? Thanks for your reply.

Think POR-15 or Rust Bullet - basically, it's supposed to chemically bond with the rust, seal it up, and form some sort of rustproof polymer.

You can also get spray bombs of converter at Home Depot in the spray paint aisle.

Back