• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front coil/spacer removal... harder the second time than the first!?!

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
Today I spent all afternoon on the Jeep... no progress besides removing a wheel and getting some exercise in with the coil spring compressor.
cry.gif

96 XJ with a 2" BB (spacers AAL)

So... the swaybar is stuck on the link, I can't get that off for the life of me now for some reason, and I do believe I had to remove it to remove the coils before stuffing the spacers in.

Also, for some reason the strut compressors (the 2 part tool with a big screw on each that takes a while with hand tools) now like to slide 'down' the coil. At least the one.
IMG_6841.jpg

I appreciate the help!
-Matt

As it sat (earlier tonight... note swaybar that won't come off the link...)
IMG_6842.jpg

Any tips for getting the swaybar link freed from the swaybar would be appreciated.

I tried removing the skidplate so I could get to the swaybar link bolt on the bottom but the front skid bolts just started turning with the nut once that got loosened a bit.

Yes this is frustrating, don't bother asking me that.

Sawzall and a set of quick discos?

Have you tried whacking the bottom of the sway bar end really hard with a mallet? I had to do that on one of mine, the bushings were really stuck. I was putting new links in anyways so I didn't care that it mangled the threads a bit.

I had to use a tie rod separter to remove the upper sway bar link on mine. Can you take the link off the lower mounting stud?

I'd say cut it and replace as a quick option-- pull the bottom through bolt as a PITA option, but you'll definitely need it disconnected to get everything apart without problems. Once it's out of the way, put the wheel back on and set the Jeep back on the ground to compress the spring as far as it can, then place the spring compressors at 180* apart and run them tight. Raise the Jeep and pull the wheel and the unloaded axle will droop enough to unseat the spring. If you need more compression, a little at a time on each one (back and forth between each compressor) should keep them at 180* apart.

I just took my coils in and out without a compressor. for the second time.

once your shock and sway bar, and steering are all off the axle will droop low enough to for the spring to just come out. Be careful of the brake line.... you may also have to pull the caliper to get enough droop.

Sounds like a lot but it is still easier than working with the spring compressor

I do notice that you still have stock control arms... if that is an after market spring (longer spring) it might now work for you. but that is how my stock springs came out and the 3.5 inch RE springs have gone in and out.

PB BLASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once you spray it and let it sit for a minute or two, it should pop the sway bar loose. From now on, anytime your working on something, spray the area your working on first.... even before you take the wheels off. Then spray it again a minute before you mess with the part. Once you drop the sway bar and the track bar on the axle side, the springs shold fall out without using those fail prone compressors. Good luck! :)

hit the sway bar with a hammer it will come up and off. It looks like you need to replace the rubber pieces any ways as the bottom one is cracked and no good.
First jack it up higher and put a jack stand on both sides of the "Frame"(ya ya ya I know no actual frame) right behind the lower control mounts so both tires can be removed. Then besides the shocks and sway bar, disconnect your steering at the pitman arm and disconnect your drag link. It makes it so much easier. It allows the axle to come down more. Use the jack on the opposite side of the axle you want to remove the spring from, as it pushes that side up it will allow the other side to come down further, just like flexing.... I have done mine and alot of other Cherokee's this way, from lifter to stock and it works really well. One more info get yourself a pair of pipe pliers (pipe wrench) and that center bump stop(in the coil) will unscrew giving you more room to get the coil out..

Last edited:
side note. be VERY careful with those compressors. I almost lost a finger or two when they slid together with my fingers in the way

I can use the stock LCAs with the RE 3.5" coils (temporarily, as the LCA bolts are frozen real bad, PB and propane torch didn't touch 'em... even combined with the BF wrench with 3 cheater bars! (old cycle fork tube, and 2 handles from old small bottle jack. I figured I'd let a shop get those out.)

Sounds like they have to be cut out with a saws-all or a grinder good luck with it.

ditch the spring compressors all together, they're not needed to remove the springs....

spray the swaybar bushings and all that with pb blaster to lubricate them. Then just smack it on the top with a hammer and they should come out.

Also, you might need to disconnect the shocks to get the axle to droop far enough down to remove the spring.

The best advice is really just to ditch the spring compressors. They're more trouble than they're worth.

ditch the spring compressors all together, they're not needed to remove the springs....

spray the swaybar bushings and all that with pb blaster to lubricate them. Then just smack it on the top with a hammer and they should come out.

Also, you might need to disconnect the shocks to get the axle to droop far enough down to remove the spring.

The best advice is really just to ditch the spring compressors. They're more trouble than they're worth.
x2!!! i have used a spring compressor one time and it scared the CRAP out of me when of them started to crack. :nono::nono::nono::nono:

I WILL NEVER USE ONE EVER AGIAN!!!!

as for your problem getting the coils out. ditch that crappy sway bar link. spray it with pb blaster then lay on your back. put a set of safety glasses on and WACK the crap out of your sway bar with a BFH! hit it right next to where it attaches to your link. it may take a lot of hits so be patient. after you get it removed. lower your axle as far as you can. you will have to disconnect your trac bar and drag link from where it attaches to your pitman arm. should be real easy to do.

or use your crappy spring compressor and learn why no one that has experiance likes them.... :lecture:

Try jacking the axle up to where it would sit at ride height to relieve some pressure/angularity on the sway bar link. With the sway bar off, just droop the axle, you may need a helper to stand/press on the end you're working on to get enough droop. Stock springs should come out fairly easily. RE 3.5" springs will be tougher because of the length, but I managed it with stock springs and 3" spacers with stock arms a few times, 4.5" REs with stock arms, no spacers, 4.5" REs with 1.5" spacers and RE LCAs, and most recently 5.5" REs with no spacers and RK 3 link. That one was fairly easy compared to the 4.5" with spacers and RE arms.

A tip on those coil spring compressor. Unbolt shock at the bottom, Take a jack and stuff the wheel a far up as it will go, then attach the compressor (* on oppsite sides of the spring - NOT - like you have it in the photo). That way most of the compressing is already done, let the axle droop, spring should easily pop out.

As far as the SB link, looks like there is nothing more than rubber holding it on: BFH should do the trick

stick a jack under the sway bar and push it off?
not enough shock to release it. i have tried that.... need shock from a hammer....

Back