• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IPF H4 Conversion

xj joey

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone done this conversion or used the X51 Fatboy Bulbs? One of mine blew out after a year and a half. They said warranty was only one year. $85.00 for bulbs that advertise extended life in "extreme conditions" that blow out this early. I only drive my jeep 3 days a week and hardly wheel it. :dunno:

i did those, still running their H4 housings, but now regular silverstars.
those lamps were great, but too much $$$
still no upgraded harness

sometimes bulbs blow, usually from fingerprints....

i wouldnt recommend the fatboy bulbs though, overpriced.

ive ran my h4's with hella parts store bulbs, regular parts store bulbs and HID, HID IS the way to go!

I bought some Hellas at Pepboys fo $49.00. Still not nearly as bright as the Fatboys. I think the Fatboys are for "offroad only". No wonder I always get flashed.

I bought some Hellas at Pepboys fo $49.00. Still not nearly as bright as the Fatboys. I think the Fatboys are for "offroad only". No wonder I always get flashed.

I used to get flashed until i really tuned in the height adjustment for the IPF lenses, they have a really harsh cutoff. i found i had mine set a little bit too high, and was able to bring them down to the point where I wasn't blinding everyone on the road.

That's been my experience with other drivers, you can have super bright lights, but if they're adjusted properly, they won't be blinding me. Now, when I get around to installing my HIDs and e-code housings, we will see how good I do at adjusting them.

As far as the Fatboy life problem, we fatties tend to have a shorter life span than you thin people. :D But I have heard of a few others who were in love with the light output, not so much the lifespan of their fatboys.

IPF lenses, PIAA Extreme White H4 bulbs, and IPF M002 harness...all since October 21, 2005 (I just looked at the sales history here at work). Still on the original set of bulbs and have zero complaints.

IPF lenses, PIAA Extreme White H4 bulbs, and IPF M002 harness...all since October 21, 2005 (I just looked at the sales history here at work). Still on the original set of bulbs and have zero complaints.
I may have to try those bulbs. The IPF lenses and Harness are awesome but need to find the right bulbs. I still cant manage to get them aimed low enough to still hit the road and not blind people. I am sitting on 6.5 inches of lift with 33s.

I'm running Hella E-codes with Xenon 80/100s. No flashing, great output. About 25% of the cost of HID.

HID is really a favorite of some -and I'm sure it's an improvement over DOT halogens. But, nonetheless, it's DOT limited and expensive. It by it's nature requires a headlamp harness anyway. I sell replacement HID bulbs at work for stock applications, and at $125 a bulb, my late model customers are suddenly waking up. They don't see that much improvement over their other car with the older lightbulbs.

Think about it - one HID bulb costs about as much as a complete E-code conversion.

I'd like to see some HID photos with a E-code 80/100 side by side. No one posts those. Hmmm.

thats fine and dandy, but we dont drive bmw's,
a friend has blown out a couple HID bulbs, and if your paying over $100 a bulb, you're a fool!

I may have to try those bulbs. The IPF lenses and Harness are awesome but need to find the right bulbs. I still cant manage to get them aimed low enough to still hit the road and not blind people. I am sitting on 6.5 inches of lift with 33s.

We did a test at work a few years back, using the IPF bulbs, Hella bulbs, and a couple of different PIAAs. The PIAA ones did the best, especially considering the 55/60W draw they have.;) FWIW, I run them constantly, too. I don't have daytime running lights in my XJ, but I manually turn them on whenever I drive it.

I'm running Hella E-codes with Xenon 80/100s. No flashing, great output. About 25% of the cost of HID.

HID is really a favorite of some -and I'm sure it's an improvement over DOT halogens. But, nonetheless, it's DOT limited and expensive. It by it's nature requires a headlamp harness anyway. I sell replacement HID bulbs at work for stock applications, and at $125 a bulb, my late model customers are suddenly waking up. They don't see that much improvement over their other car with the older lightbulbs.

Think about it - one HID bulb costs about as much as a complete E-code conversion.

I'd like to see some HID photos with a E-code 80/100 side by side. No one posts those. Hmmm.
I got my HIDs from Tony (tcm_glx, BajaHIDs.com) and paid a lot less than $100/bulb. I paid maybe $90/side, including new E-code housings and shipping.

I ran the IPF housings with X51's for about 2 years, then both low beams went out within days of eachother. I also run a homemade 10ga wiring harness. I am back to the stock housings/bulbs for now and absolutely hate it.
Is there any issues with running an HID conversion in the IPF housing?

We did a test at work a few years back, using the IPF bulbs, Hella bulbs, and a couple of different PIAAs. The PIAA ones did the best, especially considering the 55/60W draw they have.;) FWIW, I run them constantly, too. I don't have daytime running lights in my XJ, but I manually turn them on whenever I drive it.

The price on the PIAAs are more in my price range, but i DONT want that crappy RICER look of the BLUE bulbs. Which PIAA bulb has NO blue tint to them when turned on and also just sitting in the housing turned off?
I've been going back and forth between these two bulbs. Part #10904 Intense White...... and Part #15224 Extreme White Plus.
Can anyone give their input if they've tried either of these bulbs?

Back