• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What makes me stalls in deep water?

dennis461

NAXJA Forum User
I've got about 5 inches lift 31, inch tires and a snorkel.
When I hit deep water the engine dies.
Fires right up while still in the water, runs fine, no water in the intake or filter.

I've wrapped the distributor with plastic so it does not get a direct hit of water, and I never had to open and dry it out.

Could it be the O2 sensor?

I think next time I'm out, I'll try hitting the same water hole with the O2 connector unplugged and wrapped up.

Well dont unplug your O2 sensor thats will cause a CEL quick and make it run rough. Check the spark plug wires make sure they are not shorting out and all the loose wireing connections. Newer jeeps are really not design to go any deeper water than the wheels. Too much elctrionics.

running a snorkel is not enough, snorkels are for intake water protection, does nothing for engine management.

theres plenty of threads on the subject, but i live in socal, your on your own. try the search!

deep water... Define. Are you talking about going into the cab deep? You cant see your tires deep? What other mods do you have? have you done any thing to your exhaust? I has having issues with the motor almost stalling when I was up to the doors in mud because I think the sudden change in back pressure caused some issued but if i kept the idle up a little it was fine.

I had a similar problem and it was the wiring to the crank position sensor. The wiring had got too close to the exhaust manifold and melted through the plastic. As soon as it got hit with water it shorted and this causes a fault reading which cuts fuel and spark. Engine heat drys it fairly quickly and you can start up again(unless its under water). Changing it is a PITA though.

Try not letting off the throttle :) (unless its electrical then search)

Hold up... tell me you're not running a 5 speed.

What does this mean?

Oh, yeah, the electronics to the manual trans could get wet and it won't shift out of first gear while you're up to your doors in water. :rolleyes:

What does this mean?

Oh, yeah, the electronics to the manual trans could get wet and it won't shift out of first gear while you're up to your doors in water. :rolleyes:
:doh:

I had a similar problem and it was the wiring to the crank position sensor. The wiring had got too close to the exhaust manifold and melted through the plastic. As soon as it got hit with water it shorted and this causes a fault reading which cuts fuel and spark. Engine heat drys it fairly quickly and you can start up again(unless its under water). Changing it is a PITA though.

Read the OP.
He can start back up while under water.
That aint it.

Depends where the short is. I restarted mine in water just over the door sills. Short was at the exhaust manifold, it was water splashing about in the engine bay that did it but hey I could be way off just easy to check the cable.

Very true, my apologies.

Damnit, he needs to check his thread and tell us all the crap we're asking.

Wheeling all night Friday in Wharton, no time to log on..:)
By stalling, I mean the engine dies, not a loss of traction or transmission.

1991 XJ, 4.0L automatic Laredo.
No wires are melted...
Exhaust is stock, new from cat back, sealed up real good, I doubt water gets in while moving.

I usually crawl under each week after a run looking for damage.

"Don't let off the gas"
Not likely my problem, I like to splash.
Usually go half way through with mild throttle then accelerate in second half of "puddle".

It's the deeper water that gets me. Deep enough to come in the doors when stopped.
Here is a water hole that stalls me, my XJ is a couple inches shorter than this white one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBwP-5C2IEs&feature=channel
I think the sudden change in back pressure caused some issued
I was thinking of putting a tall extension on the tail pipe...

Replaced a starter this weekend, they just don't last in the Jersey mud puddles.

Snorkle is the only real mod, put 33's on this weekend.

I think I'll move the coil up and make a good cover for that.

Might as well buy new plug wires (but I doubt that's it cause I can touch them without getting a shock with motor running, poor mans electrical tester:shocked:)

My O2 sensor was broke off for a while and it ran good most of the time, so I could still try this next time out.

Thanks for the posts guys..

Searching the net only turned up the posts where someone stalls and cannot re-start.

If I figure it out, I'll post up.

Last edited:
The engine fan can kick out quite a bit of water and splash it all over the place. Most likely you have a bad connection somewhere, or the water is splashing into the coil wire boot, or something like that.

tps?

Yes, I was being very sarcastic, but how about you explaining the dumb 5 speed comment?

Its one of those things that is so obvious people don't bother mentioning it, and some people don't really know how to drive one off road. Figured it was worth a mention.

Back