• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two Water Pumps listed for Renix

90Blue_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know why there are two water pumps listed for a 90 Renix 4.0L? They are described as having different flange heights. What would need a different flange height?

Not sure on this one, with AC, with out AC maybe?

I found out recently that the 4.0 in 95 ZJ has a different water pump than the 4.0 in a 92 XJ, if that helps, because the fans, fan location and serpentene belts are also different. But I don't recall the exact difference.

It's 4-cyl versus 6-cyl. For grins, I looked on RockAuto and it lists two Bosch units for the 6-cyl, but that doesn't look right. www.boschautoparts.com says you need the 97082, and the 97081 is for the 4-cyl.

BOSCH 97082 2.31" Hub Height & 3 5/16" Diameter Hub => 6-cyl reverse rotation
BOSCH 97081 3.72" Hub Height & 2 5/8" Diameter Hub => 4-cyl reverse rotation
BOSCH 97080 3.72" Hub Height & 2 5/8" Diameter Hub => 4-cyl std rotation

NAPA guy says one is regular rotation and the other is reverse rotation. He said the serpentine belt requires reverse rotation. Don't know if that is true or not. 97082 is reverse rotation.

not sure on yours but on my 00 they asked if it was right hand drive

ps: hi Blue :wave:

NAPA guy says one is regular rotation and the other is reverse rotation. He said the serpentine belt requires reverse rotation. Don't know if that is true or not. 97082 is reverse rotation.

Yes, the serpentine belt requires reverse rotation. The 4.0 6-cyl never came with a v-belt setup on the Cherokees. I think it did on the Wranglers. Every once in a while you hear about the parts store giving an XJ owner a standard rotation which will bolt up but not pump very well.

Back