• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going with lower springs, putting in a block, what about these blocks?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought lower arching springs for a better ride on the road and more flex, but I want to inexpensively boost the rear up 1.5". The cheapest steel/iron springs I have found are here:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/79015.html

Besides them being tapered, I think they are a pretty good deal for the money. Anyone have any thoughts on these? I already have a 1.5" shackle, so I think that this is really my best option. My new springs are plenty strong to handle that amount of a block. Let me know your thoughts.

Id personally skip out on the blocks and do a shackle relocation bracket. Get a better shackle angle, better ride, better flex, and you'll get about 1-1.5" lift from it.(I got 1.25 on the first set I did, and 1.5 on a second set I did)

2 Cents.

I'm looking for something for way less money than a shackle relocation bracket though. The one I found online was like $150. A $30 1.5" block sure sounds enticing compared to that.

Same one. Do you not have the tools/ability to drop the shackle mount yourself? Mine only cost me like $10 in parts.
Billy

Well I have to admit that I haven't seriously looked into this option because the price I saw on that web site turned me off. Is there a writeup on building your own for $10? I'm not much for welding, P.S. Just about everything on my Jeep is bolt-on.

Well I have to admit that I haven't seriously looked into this option because the price I saw on that web site turned me off. Is there a writeup on building your own for $10? I'm not much for welding, P.S. Just about everything on my Jeep is bolt-on.

http://www.bsfab.net/?p=71

It took me a while to get the confidence that I could trust my welds back there. I have no doubt now, but I don't think it's a good project for a beginning welder.

Billy

That's a super sweet way to get a little boost, but I think it's beyond my meager welding abilities. I think I'm just gonna go with the lift block :)

blocks = bad.

standard.jpg

Basically you are going from a good situation to a bad one by putting blocks on. I suggest if you want a softer spring, try removing one leaf from the leaf packs and see where that puts you. Blocks will almost certainly make your ride worse, especially if you have cheap springs.

Just bought lower arching springs for a better ride on the road and more flex, but I want to inexpensively boost the rear up 1.5". The cheapest steel/iron springs I have found are here:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/79015.html

Besides them being tapered, I think they are a pretty good deal for the money. Anyone have any thoughts on these? I already have a 1.5" shackle, so I think that this is really my best option. My new springs are plenty strong to handle that amount of a block. Let me know your thoughts.
I think what everyones trying to you tell is, you buy new springs with less arch so your rig rides and flexes well! problem is there wont be much difference in either. the reason is you will still have a bad shackle angle.nothing wrong with a 1" block at all if your leaf pack is beefed up to handle it.your best option is the shackle relocation bracket. you could also ad another main leaf from a old xj pack for 1-1.5"s of lift. but if you want really good ride and flex, relocation bracket is the ticket. if you know anyone at all that welds have them make you one up.you won't be disappointed!

A 1.5" block isn't going to cause all sorts of problems because the leaf pack I have is super beefy. I could see a cause for concern if someone was trying to run a 3" block or something, but since the block is so small, I probably won't see much of a difference in anything except the ride height. I can't afford the shackle relocation bracket, so I think I'll stick with getting a block.
I've had a block before with no issues with weaker springs, so these springs will easily be able to handle a small block. Whoever said that the blocks will make the ride worse is mistaken. That would probably only happen if you put blocks under stock (weak) springs and then you experience some bowing or something. I'll report how they are when I get around to getting them. I don't plan on doing it for a few months.

A 1.5" block isn't going to cause all sorts of problems because the leaf pack I have is super beefy. I could see a cause for concern if someone was trying to run a 3" block or something, but since the block is so small, I probably won't see much of a difference in anything except the ride height. I can't afford the shackle relocation bracket, so I think I'll stick with getting a block.
I've had a block before with no issues with weaker springs, so these springs will easily be able to handle a small block. Whoever said that the blocks will make the ride worse is mistaken. That would probably only happen if you put blocks under stock (weak) springs and then you experience some bowing or something. I'll report how they are when I get around to getting them. I don't plan on doing it for a few months.

so why ask? The truth has been spoken... and not by you so if you don't like the truth then don't ask the question! Blocks are dumb and so is anyone that takes the chance in using them

So why not lift shackles?

I've already got lift shackles. I just need a little bit more boost than what the shackles give me. Looking for the least expensive option is all.

I love how not one single person bothered to answer my original question about the blocks I posted about in the original post. Some ass hats just have to change the subject for their own agenda. Just my little rant.

Back