• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bilsteins 7100 valves.....need some help

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting all the parts i need to rebuild my shocks. they are 14in 7100 series. my question is: What valving is best? i drive my rig on a lot of trails. very flexy trails. But i dont do a lot of rocks due to the lack of amour and strength of drivetrain.
I bought these shocks used on craigslist and they were custom ordered through Rubicon Express. I've called bilstein and rubicon express and no one can tell me what valves are in them. The reason i'm rebuilding them is one of the shocks has a bent rod. i just need to know what you guys are using.

Maybe this will help someone help you.

http://www.digitalperformance.com/bilstein/7100_Rebuild.pdf

The Optional valvings are: 150/50 170/60 180/75 275/78 360/80

7100_bottominfo.gif

Body: 2" Seamless Extruded Tube Conventional or Threaded Body
Rod: 14mm Centerless Ground, Case Hardened, Chromed and Super Polished
Seal: Aluminum 1 Peice/Rod Guide
Piston: 46mm Bilstein Racing Piston
Valving: "Self Adjusting" Deflective Disc Independent Rebound & Compression
Oil: Bilstein Fade Resistant High Temperature Racing Oil
Reservoir: 2" Seamless Tube
Hose: Aeroquip -6 High Pressure Hose
Rod Ends: 1/2" Teflon Uniball w/ Eye Ring
Finish: Electroless Nickel
Coilover Hardware: 2 1/2" (2 1/4" upon request)

r9ey2u.jpg

Last edited:
see. that doesnt me much because its a custom set. so no one knows what the valves are inside. bilstein told me to open it up and measure the vavles but im lazy. so i just was wondering what people are running.

i was thinking about the 170/60 or the 180/75 but i dont know if thats good or not.

You may have to do a Search (on the Bar at the top of this page) with bilstein valve and look through the 48 or so Threads.

hey cher96, I just found this thread by searching. You made it good by posting graphs and charts, then made it worthless by omitting personal knowledge about what valving to use. Instead you told him to search..... Way to go.

fail.

X2! fail. I hate when people give good useful info, then when asked a further question they refer them straight to search...

Id probably go with the 180/75 if I were you. Unless its a highway rig too, then Id go with the 170/60 to reduce body roll

hey cher96, I just found this thread by searching. You made it good by posting graphs and charts, then made it worthless by omitting personal knowledge about what valving to use. Instead you told him to search..... Way to go.

fail.

Thanks for serving.

As in my first post on this Thread,"Maybe this will help someone help you."

If I had any knowledge from past experiences, reading, or listening to others I surely would have posted something.

It is, however, unfortunate that nobody as of yet, who is able to give advice on this subject, has neither posted up nor read it as of yet.

It is also unfortunate the the OP wrote,"its a custom set. so no one knows what the valves are inside. bilstein told me to open it up and measure the vavles but im lazy."

Because it is a "custom set" and even Bilstein told him to,"open it up and measure the valves," and he wrote,"but im lazy," how in the world can anyone help him when he won't help himself. That is why I suggested he may have to do a Search.

Edited:

You may have to do a Search (on the Bar at the top of this page) with bilstein valve and look through the 48 or so Threads.

I believe it reads,"You may have to." That would imply, if no one Posts what you are looking for.

X2! fail. I hate when people give good useful info, then when asked a further question they refer them straight to search...

x2 im just interested in what valving others are running. i have searched, but i just dont get it completly.

However, did any of you read my first post? If you did read it... you apparently forgot what you read. Here it is again,"Maybe this will help someone help you."

Last edited:
I run 5150s with 255/70s if it helps at all.

Drives very smooth around town/highway and performs well on the trail.

Not sure how else I can help.

Most people on her run the 255/70 for a multipurpose rig. If you do more rock crawling and a little go fast stuff the 278/75 seams to be the prefered valving.

I run the 255/70 valving 14" 7100's in the rear of my XJ, and it seems to work VERY well. I run them almost vertical through the floor though. Not sure which end you plan on running these, but that is a common valving for front or rear for XJ's.

You can't have a discussion of valving without knowing the following:

1) Spring rate
2) Corner weight (or, if unknown: winch?, engine?, bumper?)
3) Suspension geometry (short arm, long arm, how much lift will suffice)

So, give us this info and we can help.

The 255/70 valving will probably be fine.The higher valving like 275/78 and up are generaly ran by guys who are into going fast and jumping their trucks,thereby needing stiffer suspension.

You can't have a discussion of valving without knowing the following:

1) Spring rate
2) Corner weight (or, if unknown: winch?, engine?, bumper?)
3) Suspension geometry (short arm, long arm, how much lift will suffice)

So, give us this info and we can help.

short arm with dropbrackets.
re 5.5 coils.
33's
no winch
stock front bumper

Back