• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Heard of a Transfer Case Linkage Drop Bracket

xjnewbi

NAXJA Forum User
So I installed my 4.5 inch lift and a 1 inch TC drop. My only problem is that my linkage got tweaked and was giving me trouble trying to engage 4WD. I have adjusted the linkage and it is currently working well. I am sure that somebody has thought of manufacturing a linkage drop bracket to keep stock alignment and angles of the linkage after dropping the TC.

I searched here and google with some stuff but nothing specific to an XJ. If anybody knows of such a bracket or if you have manufactured one, I would appreciate some insight.

Why would there be a need for a linkage drop bracket, if you can adjust the linkage so that it works fine?

If you adjusted your linkage, and its working, why go and drop the linkage, only to have to adjust it again?

There is a bracket that replaces the floorboard side linkage mount with a bracket that attaches to the side of the transmission. Its supposed to help when a TC drop bracket is used. That what you had in mind? I'll see if I can find the info on it.

Oops, it was for a TJ
Link:

I had Totally Tore Out All of my TC Linkage on my XJ Offroading One Day. We had to Find an Aftermarket Linkage that would Work. The Tera Shifter Requires a Lot of Modification to Fit an XJ. I know because We Tried it. We Tried it Because it was Cheaper. Ended Up Taking it Back.

This is the Linkage I Now Use with 5"s of Lift and a 1" Skyjacker Transfer Case Drop. It is Awesome! Shifts Every Time Smoothly and Accurately. The One Thing I would Recommend, Put a Spot Weld to the Shifter Cane at the Top of it's Bracket to Keep it from Twisting. I also Recommend getting the Boot. It Leaves a Large Hole where the Stock Shifter was and Lots of Heat comes Up from the Hole. Hope this helps. Vicki

The Jeep Horizons Write Up is the Old Design.

sk2x_v2_assembled_view.jpg

The Novak Shifter Kit
From YJ & TJ Wranglers, to XJ, MJ and ZJ Jeeps, our shifter replaces everything from the shift plate at the transfer case, right up to the shifter knob in the driver’s hand - in all of these Jeeps.

Kit, SK2X Shifter Assembly for New Process 231, 207, & 242 transfer cases
Part: #SK2X
Weight: 6 lbs.
Price: $154.00

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_sk2x.htm

# Restore and improve shifting action in Jeeps with suspension and especially body lifts
# Provide a clean shifting mechanism for conversion transmissions (manual or automatic) being adapted to the Jeep transfer cases
# Provide a crisp shifting feel and greater sense of control to the driver of the Jeep.
# Eliminate shifter kick-outs and resulting transfer case damage by replacing problematic factory linkages
# The shift pattern is not reversed from factory when installed, i.e. 2 Hi, frontmost, 4Lo, rearmost

Last edited:
Here is BS Fabrication's Page. The Linkage Looks Awesome. I Would have Used it Only I have No Fabrication Skills at All.

http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26

gallery.php

Skyjacker makes the bracket. It works great when you have a tcase drop. It is made for a TJ. The part # is jsrb231a.

The one that was posted from BSFAB is a great idea - but dont go off his measurments. You will have to mock everything up using your own measurments.

Novak is great - if you like spending $150+ on something you can make for $20.

Skyjacker makes the bracket. It works great when you have a tcase drop. It is made for a TJ. The part # is jsrb231a.

The one that was posted from BSFAB is a great idea - but dont go off his measurments. You will have to mock everything up using your own measurments.

Novak is great - if you like spending $150+ on something you can make for $20.

X2 on using your own measurements, but if you have the time and fab skills, the BS Fab linkage works great. IIRC, it cost me about $35 in parts, which is a fair bit cheaper than the $150 Novak wants for their shifter.

Yeah, I did some research on the Novak linkage - it looks good but I'm shifting OK right now so I don't want to shell out cash if it's working. I just have to keep checking it and I would feel better if I could "untweak" my linkage so everything is straight push/pull without any twist/rotation.

Tbburg, that sounds exactly what I am looking for. XJawgi, I'll look into the Skyjacker bracket. Thanks for all the replies

If I had any fab skills whatsoever, I would think about manufacturing one for sale. Good idea for a vendor to mock up. Tcase drop is fairly common so there should be enough demand. Just a thought.

Some suspension lifts come with those brackets and most body lifts for TJ's. Basically same setup, just a tab you bolt on the floor bracket that drops the pivot down a inch or so. I used to have a few extras laying around, but they've been used up.

My friend has some sort of linkage mod for the TC drop on his 01, I'll try to find out who made it.

Hey SlipKid, let me know what you find out.

XJtatoo, that design has some potential.

Thanks for all the options, guess I just gotta go with one and see how it pans out

Back