• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which front axle do you have?

3fifty

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to replace my D30. I have 3.55's in it and would like to find something that will handle 35's locked with those already in it. That possible?

What axle do you have up front that is not the D30 and what did you do to make it work?

A D30 can handle 35's easily with chromoly shafts and some 4.56s Maybe a truss too. a lot of guys run a wagoneer D44 with good results too but there is some fabwork involved with any axle swap. My old roommate ran 37's on a D30 with stockshafts and an ARB and never broke anything on it but his D35 was another story :explosionX2

I have 33's right now. I wont go to 35's until next year and Ill regear then. Id like to swap the rear before that as well.

My dilemma is that I have to replace all four balljoints on the D30 right now so I dont want to sink a few hundred into that just to have it still be a D30. Ive already snapped one shaft on the 33's and dont want to have to worry about that anymore.

So I was thinking that I could take that money and just do a swap to something stronger with the same gears and come out without spending a whole lot more.

I am researching D44's now. I found a '77 Ford D44 driver side drop so Im researching how to get it to fit. Im not sure what people do for shafts once its narrowed or lug pattern.

I can get this locally for $500
1978/79 Ford 3/4 ton HP Dana 44.
Narrowed to 63.5"
4.10 gears
new ball joints
new U joints
New chromo inner shafts
8 Lug

Just not sure how much it would cost me to convert to 5x4.5 or if its possible.

I can get this locally for $500
1978/79 Ford 3/4 ton HP Dana 44.
Narrowed to 63.5"
4.10 gears
new ball joints
new U joints
New chromo inner shafts
8 Lug

Just not sure how much it would cost me to convert to 5x4.5 or if its possible.

Not really possible to go 5x4.5, 5x5.5 is doable. Just use a spacer in the rear that changes your rear pattern to 5x5.5. Wheels in that size are probably more plentiful and cheaper than anything out there. I know you can swap 1/2 ton outers. Anyone out there know what parts are needed? A small spindle Chevy 1/2 ton setup will take a Ford rotor (that's what I did with my waggy 44... sadly departed)... as of course will, Ford 1/2 ton outers. Some Dodge stuff is 5x4.5, but I have not heard good things.

Last edited:
keep it 8 lug. sounds like it has dana 60 outers

He has a 14b to match for $200 that would keep me 8 lug. Then I have to buy new wheels. Thats gonna put me way outta my budget though. LOL I also think the 14b is overkill for my setup.

keep it 8 lug. sounds like it has dana 60 outers

Dana 60 outers do not fit on Dana 44's. There is very little strength advantage to 8 lug on a 44.

I ran a D30 with 35's and got to the point to where I could swap a busted shaft in about 15 minutes.

I built up a D44 and have had no problems since. I highly recommend the D44. The price you quote seems quite reasonable, bordering on cheap. Dealing with the bolt pattern is not a major issue. Like was said, you could swap the spindles out and get to 5x5.5. You could score a cheap 9 inch for the rear with the same pattern. They are available around here for around $150. Ebay has tons of used Detroit lockers for 9's due to them being used in racing.

Personally, I scored a D44 from a 78 Ford Bronco. It had the cast wedges that everybody bad mouths. I adopted the radius arm suspension and love it. I kept the full width on the front and since I already had a D44 in the rear, I just added some spacer/adapters on the rear to put both axles into a 5x5.5 configuration. The spacers brought the rear width out and I love it.

I run 35's and 4.88's with a dana 30. So far good..

Gotta do a axle shaft switch out every once in a while.

Nick

That costs more than most people have in their whole rig.

TJ Rubicon 44, or if you want extra width, JK Rubicon 44s.Find Squirrel80, that's what he runs.

I was afraid of that. I know the housings are inexpensive but I wasn't sure of the rest.
Third member with an ARB is $1K,...
Stop and think. 1K isn't that bad when you take into account the $650-$700 ARB(lowball), $120-$150 gears, say a $100 master rebuild kit, front bearing retainer, and then the actual 3rd member,...

Are you running 35s with 3.55s now? I've got 33s with 3.55s and its a dog. I can't wait to drink beer and watch my bro slap 4.56s in it.

I am looking to replace my D30. I have 3.55's in it and would like to find something that will handle 35's locked with those already in it. That possible?

What axle do you have up front that is not the D30 and what did you do to make it work?

Back