• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mpg and tire pressure

How high of psi can i run to save gas mileage? Its my daily driver. I got 31X10.5 on 15X8 rims. Can i run 45psi? 50psi?

Ummm.......swap out the vette motor for a 4.0? If you run too high of a pressure your tires will wear funny.

If you go over or under the manufature recomendations then the tire wear is going to look funny. What tires are you running.

if that's what the max on the tire says then yes you are ok to run up to 50psi. just keep up on your rotating of the tires so they don't wear funny.

That's max pressure under load. Rotating tires won't do anything to keep them from wearing funny, either, if you're not carrying that load.

If you run them overinflated (like is being discussed) you should prepare for decreased handling and braking. ;)

the center of your tread will wear faster then the tread blocks nearer the shoulder at that pressure... on 31s even 25-30 would be fine I'd imagine for wear, but if you're gonna try and just save some gas by doing it maybe 33-35 and see how they wear.

You guys are kidding right....50# is the max w/o the tire coming apart. No matter what kind of rotation you do you will still wear out the centers fast which will cost you more than the gas money you saved + your stability around corners will just suck.

You guys are kidding right....50# is the max w/o the tire coming apart. No matter what kind of rotation you do you will still wear out the centers fast which will cost you more than the gas money you saved + your stability around corners will just suck.

Obama said it will save him MPG, and he's President so he must be right.

I know. This are serious thread and OP are very serious about answers he gets. If he doesn't like them, he will talk mean to you on internets.

There is a Balance between Gross Vehicle Weight, Tire Pressure, and Tire Wear. Built up or Stripped XJs will not Weigh in at Stock GVW and may need to have the Tire Pressure adjusted Accordingly for On Road Driving. IMHO

On Road and with my Build, I have my Tires filled about 5 psi more than Stock Recommendations. On Trail and in Sand, I Air down to 15 psi and I find that Works Best for me.

If by Rubbing the Tread in a Forward and Backward Motion you feel Chopping or Cupping, you may have something going on that should be Addressed as soon as possible. Causes of this Type of Wear may be Improper Mounting of the Tire on the Wheel, a Tire that is or has become Out of Balance, Bad Shock Absorbers, Incorrect Air Pressure, or a Defect in the Tire itself. Worn Shock Absorbers will not cause the Wear by themselves, however may Contribute to the Wear because they can no longer Hold the Tire to the Road Surface Correctly.

Hope this helps.

i want an answer not cocky answers. How high can i run without uneven wear. Just an answer.

You gotta have thick skin on here Dude. I gave you an honest answer. Go ahead run them at 45 or 50 but they will not wear very good.

my father runs 45 in his 30'' bfg rugged trail's on his mj, and he's about to replace them due to sidewalls cracking after 7 years of hard dd worktruck use,

dont let anyone tell you 40+ psi is dangerous... BUT all tires are differant, and ive never heard of the tires you mentioned.

maybe experiment with chalk to make sure your not gonna ruin the tires, once you deceide what your gonna run

Not only would the cornering suck, but the overall ride would be brutal with my re 5.5 XD suspension. I run 30 and that's bad enough, I feel like I am driving a sherman tank most of the time, no give anywhere cept the 30lbs of air pressure to soften the blow, lol

Thank you! Thats what i was getting at.

I know. This are serious thread and OP are very serious about answers he gets. If he doesn't like them, he will talk mean to you on internets.

You are bad! :roflmao:

Back