• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle body??

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
If one would want a New 62mm TB for only $229.99 and not a Bored Out Refurbished Stock TB at a cost of about $160 or more Outright without Returning a Core TB... then I would say Go For It! IMHO

By my Signature you can see I use a 62/63mm TB and as Advertised it was not supposed to Whistle.... Well, it does sometimes when I Throttle Out. If I saw the one you are Questioning before I bought the one I have, I would have bought it myself.

Yeah, that's what some of the bored throttle body companies do! Although some of them actually bore the whole thing and add a larger flap.

The horsepower gain and actual feel of power is very minimal.

Thats like running a throttle body spacer, there is no point, because the fuel doesnt atomize(sp?) better with it like a carb'd engine would.

I never noticed a difference on mine. I did notice a small difference when I did the 99 and up intake, but also ported it.

I didn't say it made a difference, I'm not sure what it does. I was waiting to "bore" mine until my 99 intake was on.

But the point was if you are going to pay somebody to not actually bore the whole thing, do it yourself.

The Last thing I did to my 4.0 was to Install a 62mm TB on my 99+ Intake Manifold. Again, by my Signature you can see what else I did to Gain more Torque and Horsepower.

I did Notice an Increase in Power and Pick Up Speed at about 3200 RPM and up. I do not know if it was a Waste in Money since I almost Never go over 2100 RPM unless I really Need to.

A straight through bore flows less than a tapered bore. Ideally bore your throttle body 62mm straight through. Then re-bore the input to 70-72mm stopping before the throttle plate. Make a new throttle plate 62mm. Done. -B

I threw a 62mm one on mine, and definitely felt a difference. Not in power, torque, all that bs that everyone claims, but I could feel something. Maybe less lag? or quicker response? Don't really know, but I like it :) I saw some 68mm freeflow ones around somewhere... I wonder what that would even do?

as mentioned aboe save the money and do it your self with a drill and a flap disc or a die grinder, i did mine and i believed it it revs up quicker above 3000rpm, just my .02

I threw a 62mm one on mine, and definitely felt a difference. Not in power, torque, all that bs that everyone claims, but I could feel something. Maybe less lag? or quicker response? Don't really know, but I like it :) I saw some 68mm freeflow ones around somewhere... I wonder what that would even do?

I'm working on a theory. Like you said, "something" feels different. I too have a 62mm tb that's thru-bored. Some people only bore the bottom half. What i'm currently working on is boring only the top half of the tb to the top of the throttle plate. Air/water etc flows faster when moving through a taper. So if i bore to 62mm from the top to the throttle plate, the taper from top(62mm) to bottom(55mm) is greater and 'should' cause the air to enter the manifold at a greater velocity.
When one removes the taper at the bottom of the tb, the air flow slows dramatically. So having a stock tb, a thru-bore 62, and a top-bore 62, i should be able to tell if there are differences. I'm taking pics of the top-bore procedure and will have a write-up on the findings and see what gains or losses there are between the three tb types. -B

Back