• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nocks

lardog

NAXJA Forum User
Thought I would follow up on what I found on my nock and clunk problems.
I pulled my rear drive shaft and coated the inside of the shaft and the output shaft of the transfer case with anti sieze compound and that solved the clunk sound when stopping and starting from a stop sign. So who ever the chrysler mechanic was that suggested that,Thank you.
I had a nocking sound in my engine and changed from a Fram to a WIX oil filter and also added a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and my nock is gone. I would'nt have believed this but it did work so thanks to everyone who posted this idea. Oh 99XJ 4.0.
Thanks

Lardog

On a 99', that slip joint should be lubricated with the same lubricant you use on the front drive shaft; grease. Anti-Seize is not a lubricant, and will harden with time.

The WIX vs Fram oil filter is a good swap, if you had low oil pressure, replacing the filter would be the ticket.

I'm not a fan of putting anything in your oil that doesn't beling there. There is an old mechanic's trick of adding a quart of Kerosene to your oil to "Clean the engine", but it is not left there long. Swap your oil out with whatever you normally use as soon as you can.

-Ron

I bought a car with a 429 in it that the dealership told the owner needed a new motor. Got it REAL cheap. Changed the oil and added a can of liquid wrench. The lifter clatter disapeared in less than 1/2 hour. Drove it hard for 60,000 more miles and it was still running great when I sold it.

Back