• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More Lift?

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 Cherokee... It has the Rustys 3" Full pack currently riding at 4.25" front and 4.5" rear, with a .75 coil spacer in the front. I am getting an SYE and CV shaft, but I am also thinking about lifting it more. I have Rustys Fixed LCA's, and Adj. Trac Bar as well...

If I get a 1.5" coil Spacer and a 1.5" Shackle, will that be ok on short arms?

I also was wondering if I have to get new shocks if I do this.. Or can they extend the extra 1.5"?

I would like to run 33's so I will have to get 4:56 gears before I do that, which is OK with me, but I would like to get the truck in the air more, so I dont have to trim that much...

Anyone foresee any problems with that?

I would say to go longarms as soon as possible, if its a daily driver. mine was lifted about 5 or 6 inches on short arms, and then I went up to 8 inches of lift w/ long arms and the ride is so much smoother, plus it flexes really good. if you don't want to spend all the money on long arms, you could make your own if your good with at fabbin stuff, it wouldn't be too hard and theirs a few writeups on it. if its just a trail rig though, you could live with the short arms for a while.

I was thinking about getting the Rockkrawler long arm kit, my buddy has it... Real nice kit.

Yeah, I'm not sure when im doing all this stuff, but I know I will be lifting it more when I get my SYE sometime in December... The tires and gears, im not sure on though.

I did basically the same thing to my 98, 3" Rustys, 1.5" shackle and spacer. I went with the fixed arms built for 4.5", and longer trac-bar. work out well. Good flex, rides pretty good. Not as good as a long arm of course, but not horrible by any means. Not sure on the shocks though, the shocks that came with the kit are still on it, but they are in such bad shape Im not sure if they are even attempting to dampen anything anymore. I plan on getting longer shocks once I get it running right again. It makes sense anyways and it's not that much of a cost unless you go with really expensive shocks.

i have the same end goal for 33's, I think this route is going to work for me, but Im not a rock crawler, more for woods trails and light mud.

That does sound good. The 1.5" shackes and spacer ought to do me good. Plus with the SYE it will be hardcore...

I think im going to do that, and then when I get the cash, just get the 4:56 gears and 33's...

Same here, I am not really into rock crawling, I like the woods and light mud...

Just because you are probably wondering, ill throw up a pic of the setup with 31" BFG all terrains. I went with the AAL, so you probably sit a hair higher.
Picture004.jpg

Looks good man!

I am thinking about so many different things right now.. I think im going to run a 34X10.50 Swamper and a 33X10.50 Swamper or a 33X10-11 Mud Terrain, but im unsure of the mileage of a swamper...

Well on a DD the BFG Mud Terrains will give you the most mileage, although the look of the 34x10.50 LTB's...gotta love it.

I want to to 33x10.50 Mud Terrains because Ive gotta keep em under the flares, and I really don't want to trim much.

Same here. Plus, I just got my 15X7 rims, so I dont want to have to buy any more rims.. But around here its a Law to have flares so I have to keep it DD so im gonna go with 34X10.50 most likely...

TheArsonist21 said:
I really cant make up my mind on the tire..

How long will one of these last on a DD?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92611_10X_PG.htm#details

Not long at all, really.

Trxus MT was the best tire I've ever had for all-around use. I had the 33x12.5 version and put around 80-100 miles a day on it when it was still my DD and I loved them. Kicked ass offroad too.

I had that same kit. 3" full leaf pack, stock shackle, 3" coils up front, and a spacer to level it out. Somewhere around 4.5" total I guess. This is more than enough lift for 33's to fit comfortably.

trxus1.jpg

I also used TeraFlex adjustable LCA's (stock uppers though), the Rusty's HD trackbar, and no SYE w/a 1" t-case drop.

Ok, everyone has said that the Trxus MT's are great tires, and last long..

I think im going to just suck it up and get 15X8Rims, and then grab a set of 34X12.50 Trxux MT's on there. Seem like the best MT with the best sidewalls...

Oh and trimming of course.... Might even just take off the flares, I am leaning twords that honestly..

My list is:

Sye
Shackles/Spacer
4:56 Gears
Trxus MT's 34X12.50

Going to drop the front brake lines to that other hole for the extention as well, the back was reinstalled longer..

Go with a 15x7 or 16x7 rim for the 12.5s you'll be happier

Stick with the lift that you have, and trim the sheet metal. If you already have over 4" of lift, you have plenty of lift. The proper trimming will let you fit the tires.

Stop by in Westerly, and I'll show you my XJ with 4.5" of lift and 315/75/16s.

Stick with the Lower Center of Gravity. I have minimal rubbing with the 35s. Love the look too.

Erik

TheArsonist21 said:
then grab a set of 34X12.50 Trxux MT's on there.

I wouldn't go this route...just not cost effective IMO.

33x12.5R15: $134
34x12.5R15: $174
35x12.5R15: $177

(prices from OK4WD, where I got mine)

See what I mean? I'm not sure why the price break is that severe, but there's no way I'd be able to justify not doing the 35's if I were gonna pull the trigger on that much more cash. Especially since you're gearing and going larger anyway. You'll have more than enough clearance for 35's.

Thanks for that site! I wasnt aware of it and I was going through quadratec and the 34's were close like 196... I might just go 35's then and get 4:88 gears instead... Dont you have to reinforce the steering and stuff for 35's though?

TheArsonist21 said:
Dont you have to reinforce the steering and stuff for 35's though?[/FONT]
You say that as if there's some sort of boundary between 34s and 35s. Any tire that's bigger than stock will stress parts of your Jeep. The bigger and heavier the tire, the more stress it creates.

Yes, if you want to run a 35" tire safely, you need to strengthen or replace your stock steering system, but you would need to do the same for a 34" tire. You'll also want deeper gears (4.88s or lower), alloy axle shafts (probably) if you actually wheel the thing, slip-yoke eliminator, et cetera.

TheArsonist21 said:
Thanks for that site! I wasnt aware of it and I was going through quadratec and the 34's were close like 196... I might just go 35's then and get 4:88 gears instead... Dont you have to reinforce the steering and stuff for 35's though?

Well...yes. I'd do that anyway on a rig that was gettin wheeled, regardless of tire size. My first time out with 33's and open diffs front and rear I pretzeled two stock tie rods. I never had any problems with the steering box area on the frame, but I'd address that too (CRok makes a nice reinforcing plate for this).

15x7 or 16x7 is fine with the 12.5 I'm in Westerly if you want to see for yourself, and talk to a guy who has been running tires that way for at least 8 years.

Where are you located Arsonist?

Last edited:
Back