• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bighorns vs. KM2's

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I got it down to either KM2's or bighorns. I am looking for opinions from people who have ran both tires if there are any. gonna get them in the 31x10.5 flavor.

km2's FTW IF you can find them.....I have them in 35's, and cant believe how quiet they are, they drive great on the street and grab rocks great when aired down. The sidewall isnt as thick as I would like but im not worried.

Hopefully they will be easy to find since i'm only getting 31's!

Hopefully they will be easy to find since i'm only getting 31's!

Hopefully! Do you daily drive your jeep? What style of wheeling? I wanted something that performed well all around rather than excellent in one area and sucky in another. It was hard for me to choose a tire because I daily drive my junk as well, so comfort and noise were a factor but still wanted an aggressive tire for the weekend runs,it came down to the km2's or the kevlar mtr's. Ive only had the km2's for two days now but knew I made the right choice within the first 1/4 mile of seat time,a nice cushy ride,smooth highway cruising and killer traction in the rocks. Nit pick each tire as much as you can, and read up on real world reviews instead of magazine articles. Im sure you will be pleased with either tire, but one of the two has to be more well rounded specifically to your rig.

TSL's FTW ... c'mon you know you wanna! LOL J/K .... I wheeled with a guy who had the KM2's - I wanna say they were 33's cant remember for sure but they did a nice job in the muck and sand. They weren't bad in the rocks either aired down.

Bighorns have always been a favorite of mine, but i have never run them.. my buddy has KM2s on his Ford and they are awesome I would buy either

like every other tire decision, it depends on what your needs are. I'd imagine that KM2s will be a better rock tire, given its history. But, the Bighorn should do better everywhere else, and pretty close on rocks (not sure about mileage, at least 40K from Bighorns). I've been very pleased by the performance of my Bighorns, with 31s, I could keep up with guys on 33s. With 32s, I can follow guys on 35s. The grip on rocks is excellent, very quiet on road, good mileage, pretty good in mud and not too bad on sand. Very easy to balance, two of my 31s didn't need any weights at all. Plus, they're cheap! :)

I'll keep getting Bighorns unless I switch to a specialty tire like the Trepador or something. The Mickey Thompson MTZs are the only other tire I'd consider for a daily driver, as it handles wet roads better and does better on sand due to the different tread design. Does pretty well on rocks, but not as good in the mud. I've been out of the business for a few months now, so I haven't been able to play with the new Kevlar MT/Rs. Those look promising... but $$$$

Really depends on how much you wheel and where vs street driving.
KM2's are a great all around tire. Quiet on the road work in sand, mud and rocks.
I'm running 33 / 10.50 /15's and they are the best tire I've had on the XJ.

DSCF0016.jpg

Last edited:
I would think twice if you actually wheel with the km2's. I have ripped 4 sidewalls, thank god for a "no questions ask" warranty. I sold them and went back to my krawlers. The new MTR has a TOUGH sidewall. I wheel with many that run them on their xj's

I would think twice if you actually wheel with the km2's. I have ripped 4 sidewalls, thank god for a "no questions ask" warranty. I sold them and went back to my krawlers. The new MTR has a TOUGH sidewall. I wheel with many that run them on their xj's

I keep hearing this from multiple sources. Most of them being in AZ, which makes sense since the rocks are more jagged out there. Seeing that you are from Washington, this has me concerned. Do you think that the sidewalls are any weaker than a BFG AT? I never had any problems with AZ rocks with my AT's. I don't wheel all that much, and I'm easy on the throttle. I'd stick with AT's but I'm concerned about their performance out here with the mud.

I keep hearing this from multiple sources. Most of them being in AZ, which makes sense since the rocks are more jagged out there. Seeing that you are from Washington, this has me concerned. Do you think that the sidewalls are any weaker than a BFG AT? I never had any problems with AZ rocks with my AT's. I don't wheel all that much, and I'm easy on the throttle. I'd stick with AT's but I'm concerned about their performance out here with the mud.

I never have ran a AT tire so I cant compare the two. I was just disappointed with the hype about the km2 having a thicker sidewall and found that to be not true with my experience. They were a waste of my $$

I do not run either, however, most of the Jeepers around here use BFG T/As and recently the KM2s. They are like the Standard everyone around here judges other Tires by.

If I could afford the KM2s... I would have them for sure. Since it Rains a lot in Florida usually, the KM2 has extra cuts through the center of the large lugs that are very useful on Slippery Surfaces. IMHO

Last edited:
I would recommend the bighorns! I have them now and couldnt be happier. Great in mud, sand, rocks and they are cheap! balance well and have never had a single issue with them.

Bighorns wouldn't wear well here in Florida. They are soft and great for Rock Crawling. They may fare well for Mud, however, since they have a Soft Tread and 95% of Driving around here is Highway they would wear way too fast. IMHO

Some of the Members in both of the Jeep Clubs I ride with have PitBulls (most have BFGs) and complain about how soft they are. I do not see an Advantage going with the Bighorns because of this.

Just my .02

Last edited:
Back